Rio de Janeiro - Brazil


Advertisement
Brazil's flag
South America » Brazil » Rio de Janeiro » Rio de Janeiro » Ipanema
August 21st 2008
Published: August 21st 2008
Edit Blog Post

Rio - the only city in the world that has a jungle (and the smallest bikini bottoms you'll ever see)

We've discovered that Brazilians run to a different time to the rest of the world; there's no rush or sense of urgency......until you step into a taxi. Driving at ludicrous speed, running red lights and weaving between cars we arrived at our hostel at Ipanema beach slightly unnerved. But the warm reception Paul received at the front desk (Tracy the Aussie remembered him!) and the water pressure in our new bathroom was enough to get us back into the swing of things. Rio is amazing....and you're about to find out why• City highlights: A hair raising but incredible hangglide from one of the peaks over Rio city, the jungle and beaches; taking typical tourist pictures from the base of Christ the Redeemer statue; visiting Lapa and seeing the beautiful tiled steps; the gorgeous weather, beaches and uber tanned bodies.• Accommodation rating: 4.5/5 . And it's a hostel! the term is used very loosely here as our lodgings have been amazing and guests here great (lots of Aussies!). This coupled with the fact that we're 50m from Ipanema beach ensures that the place is always booked out.• Food: Incredible! From the sushi, to the churrasco, to the street vendors that sell fresh churros injected with warm chocolate or caramel, to the frozen yoghurts and juice bars....the list goes on and on. Downside is that it comes at Sydney prices.• Misc: we're pleased to report that our beach racquet ball skills are improving along with our tans; the hour long hike through the jungle to see uninterrupted views of rio city and beaches (in our trusty hiking shoes aka our havaianas); jean stepping in dog poo in Lapa during a tour and dragging it through the bus (stinky); paul running into the beach baywatch style, fully clothed to rescue jean's poo thong after it was snatched away by a wave.....feeling very safe and secure in a city that is reknowned for its crime (although perhaps the locals heard of paul by reputation after Salvador de Bahia). Ciao!!


Additional photos below
Photos: 17, Displayed: 17


Advertisement



Tot: 0.086s; Tpl: 0.015s; cc: 15; qc: 55; dbt: 0.0322s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb