Mellow Yellow experience


Advertisement
Brazil's flag
South America » Brazil » Rio de Janeiro » Rio de Janeiro » Copacabana
February 18th 2010
Published: February 23rd 2010
Edit Blog Post

Today we had to check out of our lovely Copacabana hotel and we were due to stay at the Mellow Yellow hostel which was only four blocks away. We enjoyed the breakfast at the hotel then after a quick pack in which we just about managed to cram our stuff in - i swear we are just accumilating, my bag seems to be getting heavier even though i am not really buying much, how does that work?

Today was sad waking up as the glorious weather that we have experienced has gone, in its place there is rain. It looks as if it is here to stay as there was no break in the clouds at all. So we put on our rain coats and walked the four blocks to the Mellow Yellow. It was hard not to miss the hostel as it was a bright yellow colour, with Mellow Yellow wrote in huge letters on the wall. The reception area was crammed full of people so it took us about an hour to finally check in.

It was a very busy hostel which has tried to cram in as many people as possible. Not one of my favourates as it personally reminds me of a prison. As it has metal bats and painted brick walls with tilling floor. With the rain it threw are plans for the beach out the window. With the day being so misserable it also meant that sugar loaf and christ the redeemer statue was not a possibility. We were struggling for entertainment for the day. So were were sat in the bar thinking what we could do. As we were thinking this english girl walked past with crazy pants on, Fiona went mad for them. She loved this pants and asked the girl whereabouts she got them from. The girl explained that they were from a market in Rio which was about 6 stops on the metro line. We therefore had our day planned, it would be spent in a market town called Uruguaiana looking for a pair of baggy flowery pants for Fiona.

This to be honest was one of the best markets we had been to, it was massive, at least the size of a ashton on mersey. The variety of stuff was enormous. We were looking for these silky, flowery trousers which big thighs and small ankles. After an hour of no luck we decided to eat a Macdonalds.

After this we found the shop straight away, after trying on a total of 7 different designs Fi finally settled on a pink colour with pretty tropical flowers. Success we had got the trousers and after walking around for a while we decided that it would be best to get the metro back to the hostel. We got back right in the middle of happy hour at the bar, we were therefore treated to a free Caipriana each. Fiona then got a free one simply for being a girl. I unfortunately was not treated this well and had to settle for a 1 litre bottle of beer for 1 pound.

After enjoying the benefits of the free/cheap drink we thought why bother moving? we saw thay had a home made lasagne meal tonight for only 4 pound per person. The lasagne was amazing! better than any restaurant one so far, not quite David Platt standard, but a close second. In the bar they also had some live local music this proved rather annoying though as it seemed like it was just some random bloke off the street playing as he was very average. He was no Jow McEldery with the vocals!

After finishing off our drinks we called it a night and went to our room. Hopefully the weather will be better tommorow as we still have Sugar Loaf and the statue on our to-do list.


Advertisement



23rd February 2010

I love the idea of a market the size of Ashton on Mersey. :) And when you get round to putting up the pictures, you just HAVE to include one of Fi's trousers to prove that it's only the trousers that have big thighs and small ankles ... not Fi! Also, why are you suddenly being called David Platt? Were you always, and I just missed it? I saw that somewhere else as well. xxxxxxx

Tot: 0.132s; Tpl: 0.015s; cc: 5; qc: 44; dbt: 0.064s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb