First Day in Rio


Advertisement
Published: August 30th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Hi there,
Just wanted to let you know we made it safely into Brazil. On the way down our flight to Miami was delayed an hour. As a reesult we missed our connection to Rio. The airline was wonderful and put us up in a hotel and gave us food vouchers for all our meals. It ended up being a blessing in disguise because we had the whole next day until our flight at 11:00 pm to see Miami. We rented a car for the day and spent the day in South Beach. It was a chance for us to see how miserably hot and humid Florida will be if we are still there next summer. Walking around in it was horrible, but we decided we could tolerate it for the summers if it meant winters in Florida wouldn't entail sliding on ice covered roads, bundling up every time you go out, and having your snot freeze inside your nose. Mike had been to Miami several times before but this was a first for Jody. We both loved South Beach and have it on our agenda for a weekend trip while living in Tampa. Jody's mission next time she visits is to find out where Brooke Hogan lives. (Yes...sadly she has seen many episodes of Hogan Knows Best and Brooke Knows Best).

Once at the airport we were able to enjoy the 2 hours waiting inside the USO lounge b/c of Mike. Free drinks, snacks, TV, and internet. Nice quiet way to pass the time while waiting. Of course Mike made a new friend and Jody stocked up on snacks. Mike is learning quickly that Jody loves to have a good supply of snacks on hand at all times. She also made sure the last $20 voucher was used on more snacks. Can't let free money go to waste.

We drugged oursleves up with Sleepy Time pills and pretty much slept our way to Rio. Per the advice of Mike's sister and brother-in-law (who took a 9 month trip around the world 2 years ago) we are renting a furnished apartment in Copacabana during our stay here. It is in an awesome location and very convenient...1 block from Copacabana Beach. We rested up this afternoon and plan to hit the town tomorrow with a few hours on the beach and then a trip to see Christ the Redeemer statue. We'll keep you updated on what we are doing and where we are. Mike's sister gave us their international cell phone they used for their trip. When we get it set up we will let you know the phone number in case you need to get in touch with us. We probably won't be making many calls b/c of the cost of calling out on the cell phone, but incoming calls are free and you may be able to get a reasonable rate with a calling card from the internet.

Hope everyone is doing well. To Jody's teacher friends, I've been thinking about all of you this week during your first week back and hope the weather isn't too hot for you. Please feel free to e mail us a line at jamorganegg@yahoo.com.

Until next time,
Jody and Mike


Advertisement



Tot: 0.086s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 7; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0666s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb