Rio de Janerio


Advertisement
Published: May 4th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Botafogo vs AthleticoBotafogo vs AthleticoBotafogo vs Athletico

30/04/06 at Maracana Stadium, Rio de Janerio
We arrived in Rio 9am local time after a gruelling 13 hour flight from Heathrow via Sao Paulo. As soon as we´d dropped our bags at the hostel, we headed down town for our first taste of the world famous Copacabana beach. After a stroll down the 3km of golden sands, it was time to relax at a beach side cafe serving the ultimate refreshment, a near ripe coconut straight from the freezer, top hacked off with a machette and a straw to lap up the chilled milk inside. Heaven on a hot (31 degrees!) day.

Although we were shattered from our long flight, the lure of football at the Maracana stadium was enough to keep us awake. Our hostel ran a trip to the largest football stadium in the world, where we watched local team Botafogo vs Athletico of Brazil. Sadly the locals were thrashed 4:0 but it didn´t stop us from enjoying the atmosphere amoungst the hugely passionate local fans.

The following morning we took the cable car up Sugar Loaf Mountain, taking in panoramic views of the whole city before heading down to the citys main bathing beach at Ipanema for more sun worshiping!

On
CopacabanaCopacabanaCopacabana

View of Copacabana from top of Sugar Loaf Mountain
the subject of worshiping no trip to Rio would be complete without a visit to Corcovado, where the statue of Christ keeps an eye on the population below again offering fantastic views all around.

Then it was time for a fascinating insight into life in the Favelas; the notorious shanty towns that cover the hillsides surrounding the city. Our guide took us round Rocinia; Rio´s largest Favela, which is believed to be home to 200,000 people. despite the fact the police won´t go there we found the people warm and welcoming. There was an obvious gangland presense,however most people got on with their day to day lives. All in all a real humbling experience!

Our time in Rio has come to an end and we plan to head north to the costal town of Buzios.


Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement

Christ in the distanceChrist in the distance
Christ in the distance

from cable car at the top of Sugar Loaf Mountain
ChristChrist
Christ

Mike finally finds Jesus!


4th May 2006

Rio
You`re having a ball u lucky things. Wish we were there cos we don`t go anywhere.hee hee.Have fun.Keep sending updates on here and pics.
14th May 2006

Hey ho!
Hi, Rach you're looking quite at home in that ghetto! Nah seriously you look like you're having a fab time. Missing you guys already and can't wait to see you in Oz in just a few months! Keep the updates coming. Lots of love and bubbles Hannah xxxxxxxxx

Tot: 0.117s; Tpl: 0.015s; cc: 16; qc: 56; dbt: 0.083s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb