Idiots abroad and stormy times


Advertisement
Brazil's flag
South America » Brazil » Rio de Janeiro » Rio de Janeiro » Botafogo
December 4th 2010
Published: December 4th 2010
Edit Blog Post

02/12
So the random adventure continues and indeed its a continuation of 3 idiots abroad as we attempted to reach the Novo Rio coach station to buy tickets to get to Salvador. We wrote down bus numbers, got the change out, paid the three of us on (in amazing portuguese), went through the very restrictive turnstiles (only just thin enough) and we made our trip to 'Rodoviaria' (bus terminal - well... the journey... Tasha described it as like being in an episode of speed, she wasn't wrong. That driver did not know how to yse tge brake peddle as we weaved our way across lanes and through tunneçs - Rita Queen of Speed had nothing on this.

It was cool to go on the bus with the locals and see different parts of the city - Rio is incredible diverse, in terms of the land, the buildings and the people - one minute favelas, the next sky scrapers, next old beautiful colonial buildings, variable maintained. We got off the bus and were in some weird market, I got told I was beautiful (in english) by a random stall holder (kerching!) and saw an incredible amount of Justin Bieber merchandise. We made our way through the terminal to the information point, saw nothing for Salvador - then realised we were at the local bus station - GUTTED.

So there we were, very hot and flustered in the wrong bit of Rio, classic Team 897 palava. Tried to find the bus back to the hostel and couldn't locate the stop for our number. Bugger; Ended up asking a coach assistant by handing him a piece of paper with bus numbers on and 'Botafogo' (our quarter). He started speaking to me in very speedy Portuguese - nightmare. Between myself, the assistant and my Portuguese phrasebook (thanks Ellie!) we determined that he wanted to know what road we were staying at - it turned out that the bus we were stodd next to would pretty much go to our hostel - BONUS. So off we went and the driver told us that he would let us know where to get off - he did - and one failed mission later - back to the hostel.

The brazilian people have been so lovely to us considering what utter morons we've been. Tomorrow the quest to Salvador continues - wish us luck!

Random observations today:
- We saw the hairiest man I have ever seen in my life.
- We saw a man sleeping in such an odd position we were sure he must be dead on the street, he was sat up later so I assume he wasn't.
- Christmas is weird when it's hot, lots of Santas and Christmas trees around.
- The funicular (sp?) up to Sugar loaf mountain - Tasha's fear of heights will be well and truly tested.
- There are very few coins in Brazil - making having change a sod - particularly given that EVERYONE seems to want smaller amounts than I have.
- There are very few road rules, none if you're on a bike or moped.

02/12
And then the rain hit... Tash and I had nipped to the supermarket in preparation for our MAMMOTH bus journey tomorrow (fingers still crossed) and it started spitting, then raining pretty heavily. People were flagging down taxis left right and centre - and we didn't really get it, we got home pretty sodden, but as soon as we got in the heavens really opened. I have never seen rain like it in the UK. It was torrential and the raindrops were massive, we took a video of it - it felt almost apocalyptic! I can now see how the mudslides etc happened.

On another random note, got additional people in the room tonight on mattresses, this place hates turning people away - they bend over backwards to help - two others downstairs - very cool atmosphere though.

Up bright and early for our trip to Salvador tomorrow - Bonne Noche!

Rxxxx

Advertisement



Tot: 0.086s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 6; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0573s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb