Paradise in Paraty


Advertisement
Brazil's flag
South America » Brazil » Rio de Janeiro » Paraty
February 23rd 2010
Published: February 25th 2010
Edit Blog Post

We awoke around 9.30 and automatically felt the heat suffocating us. The sunlight was gushing from under the door and we knew it was going to be a scorcher of a day. We soaked up the surroundings over a long breakfast of fresh fruits and contemplated what to do with the day. We juggled with the idea of going to the beaches on the outskirts of town, but Emmerson (the hotel propritor) was not abash to inform us that the beaches were somewhat polluted and seldom used.

Emmerson recommended a boat tout that could take us to quaint idyllic beaches and private islands for only 30r$, equivalent to roughly 10 pounds so we jumped at the oppurtunity and 30 minutes later we were embarking onto the top deck of the Estrela da Manha. We acquired two sun loungers at the front of the boat allowing us to have paneramic views of the entire journey.

The boat set sail at around half 11 and we cruised towards our first island. The seas were teal blue and crystal clear. So clear that when we anchored onto the 1st island we could easily see all the different fish and their multi-coloured fins swimming around the boat. There was not one person who was not inclined to jump in and snorkle or merely swim alongside the pretty looking fish. Whilst in the water it gave us the perfect oppurtunity to enjoy the present Frankie and Andy gave us both. The underwater camera provided some good entertainment and hopefully we got some good shots of ourselves and the fish.

After a short while the captain blew his whistle and sure enough we carried on meandering through the tranquil waters. Our next destination was Lula beach. A small white sanded beach surrounded by unspoilt jungles and rocks. We swam to the shore, walked along the warm sands, took shade in the palm trees and bathed in the sea. I took a minute to sit and remind myself that i was in Brazil on tropical islands and not battling the snow in the cold England. I imediately felt rather lucky and a tiny bit smug. But then my attention was taken away as i heard the whistle for the boat and we returned to the very important job of bronzing ourselves.

Around 2pm we docked in another bay close to another island whilst we luncheoned and quenched are thirst we were just returning to our lounges when somebody cried ¨delfines¨, ¨dolphins¨ and low and behoild 2 dolphinswere dipping in and out of the water almost as if someone had requested their entertainment. Sadly they swam off into the distance and were no to be seen again.

Lunch was followed by another small trip to Vermelho beach named primarily due to its red/golden sands. Where again we strolled, took breathtaking photographs and enjoyed the tranquil ambiance.

Sure enough our our little excursion had come to an end and we cruised home as the sun set over the islands and sparkled on the sea. The days events had left us hungry and tired so we headed to a small restaurant which served food by weight. A random concept albeit a popular one in Brazil. We dined off grilled meats, rice and salads. Then headed back to our abode for a peaceful nights sleep.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.103s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 6; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0425s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb