Parati - Relaxing town by the Bay


Advertisement
Brazil's flag
South America » Brazil » Rio de Janeiro » Paraty
March 8th 2007
Published: March 8th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Parati (or Paraty) is a small colonial town about 125 miles from Rio de Janeiro along Brazil's southeast coast. It is a popular destination for Brazilians to vacation. There is a historical center (Old Town) that is closed off to cars that is very charming with cobblestoned-paved streets and colonial buildings that now houses many art galleries, restaurants and shops. Definitely very relaxing.


Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement

Drive to ParatiDrive to Parati
Drive to Parati

The drive from Rio to Parati was breathtaking. We basically drove along the coastline of Costa Verde.
Capela de Nossa Senhora das DoresCapela de Nossa Senhora das Dores
Capela de Nossa Senhora das Dores

Capela de Nossa Senhora das Dores, is one of four historic baroque churches in Parati. These churches, along with colonial buildings that line the neighboring streets, give the Old Town its historical significance.
colorful windowscolorful windows
colorful windows

Parati's Historic Center definitely had an old world charm. The cobblestone-paved streets and the many historical buildings that still remain definitely add to the ambiance of the Portguese colonial town. This is just an example of the vibrant colors that are used for dressing the windows.
Boating on the Bay of Ilha GrandeBoating on the Bay of Ilha Grande
Boating on the Bay of Ilha Grande

One of the most popular activities in Parati is to go out on a boat tour, which I did along with 40 or so other Brazilians. We visited a number of the neighboring islands and went swimming in the bay. The water is very nice, clear and refreshing. Definitely very relaxing. I met the sweetest, mid-age couple on this trip.
Porto da PingaPorto da Pinga
Porto da Pinga

One of the bars in the Old Town that stocks a wide assortment of Cachaça. Cachaça is probably the most popular distilled alcholic beverage in Brazil. This stuff is quite good (basically made of sugarcane juice and taste similar to rum). It goes into a popular Brazilian cocktail call the caipirinha. Warning: I think it is quite easy to get drunk on caipirinha. It is one of those drinks you don't taste the alcohol much because the lime and sugar do a great job masking the alcohol.
MouecasMouecas
Mouecas

Mouecas is a fish in coconut sauce dish. It is a popular dish in Parati. I had it for dinner at a restaurant call Arpoador, which is supposedly famous for it. I like the fact it came piping hot in a casserole dish. The coconut taste wasnt too pronounce. One tastes more of the tomato sauce (of course, the thickness tests me there is probably a good amount of fatty coconut oil in it). It was served with manioc and rice.


Tot: 0.05s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 12; qc: 27; dbt: 0.0263s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb