Exploring More of Rio


Advertisement
Brazil's flag
South America » Brazil » Rio de Janeiro » Ilha Grande
December 15th 2023
Published: December 16th 2023
Edit Blog Post

After conversations we had the pervious week it was decided the focus of our Monday workshop with the entrepreneurs would be creating a habit of saving. The teacher, who is a volunteer, created her own savings challenge for the women with a year-end prize. She set a goal for the women to increase their savings each week by 5 reals ($1USD). The first half of the year is quite achievable, but the second half will be a challenge for most of the women. I shared my concern that women might stop the habit of saving if they fall out of the running for the prize. We plan to expand this challenge to encourage all the women to create the weekly habit of saving.

This week we also had the end of the year gathering for Instituto Dom volunteers. In true Brazilian fashion the gathering started almost 2 hours after the assigned start time. But once everyone arrived, some coming from as far as São Paulo it was a great day. Instituto Dom has a partnership with a university in São Paulo where business students act as mentors for the women entrepreneurs. Some are doing this as an internship while others as a way to build their resume. In either case it is a win win with the business students starting to put their schooling to work. The agreement is that each woman will have 3 one on one (virtual) sessions with their mentor. But many of the relationships continue past that.

Later in the week the ED had to attend some off site meetings so I took the opportunity to do some quick site seeing. Of course a trip to Rio is not complete without out a train ride up to Christ the Redeemer. I was fortunate to catch a perfect sunset over the city. The train ride takes you through Tijuca National Park one of the worlds largest Urban forests to the top of Mount Corcovado. The statue is about 100 ft tall with an arm span of the same. Due to its location it is struck by lighting 3 to 6 times per year.

I also had a quick visit to Ilhe Grande a nearby island that has no cars; their version of Mackinaw Island. 😊 Kayaking, hiking, and island hopping by boat was much more enjoyable for me with the overcast skies.


Additional photos below
Photos: 24, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



Tot: 0.034s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 9; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0153s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb