We have caught the sun again!


Advertisement
Brazil's flag
South America » Brazil » Pernambuco » Olinda
April 15th 2006
Published: April 15th 2006
Edit Blog Post

sugar cane fieldssugar cane fieldssugar cane fields

much of what the journey from Salvador to Recife looked like... once lush forsts are now cleared for agriculture
We are now in Olinda, a town on the outskirts of the busy industrial port city of Recife, 14 hours (by bus!) north of Salvador. The main objective here for me, as Recife does not spark much interest is to relax and make the most of the sunny days and cross fingers that the periods of rain falling each day is shortening in duration the further north we travel!

Olinda is a bit of bohemian artsie scene with heaps of markets and stalls although being Easter long weekend there is not too much open - this is good!.. so i am not persuaded to buy anything!. The town has one main peak where a great looking (.... wait for it.... yes.... another!) church sits in a square high above the bay of beaches below. For photos opportunities.. walk through the church and head for the 'backyard' ... has unobstructed views from here. In the square there are cool markets and at night (i think predominantly on weekends) heaps of little stalls are set up, functioning as bars with many, many different types of cashasa (used to make caiparinha's) on standby for many many more different mixes possible..

In our hostel there is a nice mix of international backpackers so that has been great both socially as well as finding out more little travel secrets and tips for the rest of the trip north. The first night here there was a concert on the steps of a church in the centre of town..(at the bottom of the hill) with more classical instrumental music and a good introduction to Olinda. ...

oo ooo.. and at the hostel !..we saw monkeys (tamarins?) in the trees out the back over the pool!.. very cool and definetly a highlight to Olinda!..


Additional photos below
Photos: 10, Displayed: 10


Advertisement

dont look if you smokedont look if you smoke
dont look if you smoke

the brazillian warnings on cigerette packets...
night at the top of the hillnight at the top of the hill
night at the top of the hill

watching the impromptu drumbeats among the stalls with Sophie & Bastian (2 french travellers we met) featuring.


Tot: 0.144s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 9; qc: 56; dbt: 0.0825s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb