It really is contagious!


Advertisement
Brazil's flag
South America » Brazil » Rio Grande do Norte » Pipa
April 21st 2006
Published: April 24th 2006
Edit Blog Post

We have made it Praia de Pipa, just south of Natal and when we were told that people come here for 2 days and stay for 2 months we scoffed a little.. we intended to only stay 2 nights.. we stayed for a week!.. ! .. it would have been longer if we didnt have a time limit to get to peru!..

Pipa is a beautiful place and after wandering the main street which is a tourist mecca and our first night making buddies with the guys that run the 'Blue bar' - a cool little bar on the main strip we settled in pretty well.. the main beach in town (that can be seen from the high street above) has a great reef break that when at high tide the locals take advantage of and when at low tide, rock pools are formed and families flock to bathe in the warm waters.

The place we stayed at was run by a gorgeous couple that obviously enjoy hosting people in their pousada called Recanta de Vilma. There are heaps of places to eat and drink and nightlife doesn't light up until about 11pm, when all the tourists and locals
Main beach in townMain beach in townMain beach in town

where the locals swim in the pools at low tide.. were at high tide awesome waves appear just beyond the reef..
gather in the middle of the road and all move together to whatever might be going on that night.. whether it be an impromptu club open up, live reggae music playing in the malls or just up to the main club a little walk out of town that goes until all hours of the morning!..

I was lucky enough to celebrate my birthday here on the first night.. which I think encouraged the formation of friendships with the people at the bar and pushing the caiparinha limit to 7!.. (mind you, 5 was on the floor if you remember a previous blog posting)... dancing in the rain and not feeling very well the next day!.. for obvious reasons!

On top of that, after heading a little further abroad to check out the beaches we found one called Praia de Madiera (not that much of a secret!) that dolphins are commonly seen at and a great little point break for brilliant long board surfing.. and a place that hires them on the beach!.. what more could we want!.. ? maybe a little wooden beach cafe serving hamburgers for US$2 and a couple stands that make awesome pinapple and coconut
cool buildingcool buildingcool building

noticed later that on the front step, 'exotica' is mosaiced
cocktails delivered to your chair?...yep.. had that too!.. how about a guy that has LOADS of bikinis for sale at cheap cheap prices!.. yep!. and i was in heaven!.. have been banned from getting any more! ...needless to say after the first afternoon of surfing with dolphins i didnt want to move on!.. particularly after actually standing up the first time i got on a wave (after more than 2 years! yay!... it was a BIG board though!)

A couple things we've discovered though since being here is that the number of people that can fit into a combi has been pushed to 21!.. this is the local taxi pick up through town and this is not including half sized people on laps.. aka children, the surfboard wedged in there or the chickens.. ( ha.. nah, no chickens, but there might have well been!) and speedos for men are back in!... even through the main street of town after sunset!.. as seen on MANY occasions!... please boys!.. stick with the boardies! ;-)

next stop is Fortaleza for a couple days before flying to Manaus which is halfway up the Amazon River.



Additional photos below
Photos: 18, Displayed: 18


Advertisement

Praia de AmorPraia de Amor
Praia de Amor

more of a beach break and a place to soak up the sun.. we decided we preferred Madiera because of the waves and the ability to hire boards!
Praia de MadieraPraia de Madiera
Praia de Madiera

down one end of the beach
Praia de MadieraPraia de Madiera
Praia de Madiera

and the other end of the beach... this is where we were surfing. great waves for the longboards!
Praia de MadieraPraia de Madiera
Praia de Madiera

there were dolphins here too.. but only appearing for short spurts out of the water.
am in heaven!am in heaven!
am in heaven!

buying bikinis on the beach!.. just which one!?
one for the girlsone for the girls
one for the girls

since owen's blog will no doubt feature the girls! - it should, we took enough photos! - here is a nice one for the girls.


Tot: 0.122s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 10; qc: 69; dbt: 0.0783s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb