Olinda - Carnival Sunday


Advertisement
Brazil's flag
South America » Brazil » Pernambuco » Olinda
October 7th 2007
Published: October 7th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0

Solo in S. America


Carnival AtmosphereCarnival AtmosphereCarnival Atmosphere

One of the drumming groups wtih their hypnotic variety of beats.
Sun 7th Oct:
Would you believe it, just as I stepped out to go to the late night carnival, it started to rain - the first rain I saw since the thunderstorms in Belem. While sheltering from the rain in the main square I got into conversation with a Brazilian lawyer (who spoke some broken English), a Danish chap living in Brazil (who spoke some French) and some locals (one spoke Spanish). With the mix of languages and lots of sign language thrown in, we had a very lively animated evening .. the free flow of beer also helped the fluency. The time flew and I didn´t get to bed until after one ... but a great night, and I didn´t even see any carnival dancing.
An early morning walk after breakfast helped to waken me up. ´Decide to go to the Benedictine Mass where they sang the famous Gregorian Chant - very long!
Lunch back at the pousada and a swim in the pool to cool down. Then 'made my way up the hill again to the main festival centre. Lots of people from all around in town for the carnival; I was warned many times to beware of pick-pockets.
ReggaeReggaeReggae

A small splinter reggae group find their own beat.
A great lively atmosphere with a meeting of many musical rhythms. The displays were mainly made up of drumming bands - very contagious beat and the accompanying body movements were mesmerising. The carnival was very social with lots of eating, drinking and meeting people. There were, of course, the inevitable hundreds of stalls and mobile vendors selling all kinds of art, craft and trinket. As the carnival went on into the evening some of the families started to trek their way home. When I finish this I´ll see what the last carnival night beckons.

Tomorrow afternoon, I fly south to Salvador where I´ll spend the following four days.


Additional photos below
Photos: 3, Displayed: 3


Advertisement

Pousada OlindaPousada Olinda
Pousada Olinda

Looking through from the outside dining area towards the pool and garden.


Tot: 0.119s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 10; qc: 51; dbt: 0.0895s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb