Joe Blogs - Iguazu Falls 25°41′ S 54°26′ W


Advertisement
Brazil's flag
South America » Brazil » Paraná » Iguaçu Falls
April 3rd 2012
Published: April 4th 2012
Edit Blog Post

This content requires Flash
To view this content, JavaScript must be enabled, and you need the latest version of the Adobe Flash Player.
Download the free Flash Player now!
 Video Playlist:

1: Iguazu Falls 30 secs
2: White Water 107 secs
3: Glass Elevator 143 secs
Y – ees mean “water” or “reever” yes ?

Guazu – ees mean “beeg” yes ?

Iguazu Falls – ees mean “beeg water falls”.

Comprendez?

So, we fly into Iguazu (or is it Iguasu) airport and are met by our guide and driver. The luggage is loaded into the back of a car, and we drive off down the road.

About 200m.

The car pulls on to the grass and another car pulls up alongside.

We get out of car 1 and load the luggage into car 2, and we set off again, this time in car 2.

It turns out that, due to local rules, only Argentinian cars are allowed to pick up from the airport. Our guide is Brazilian, with a Brazilian car, so he wasn’t allowed to pick us up. Car 1 was Argentinian (as was the driver). I felt a bit like we were in a spy movie, and we had to swap cars to avoid the authorities before crossing the border into Brazil.

Anyway, Iguazu (or is it Iguasu) Falls are on the border of Argentina and Brazil, the top of the falls being in Argentina, and the bottom of the falls in Brazil. So, it is recommended to see both sides. Today we visited the Argentinian side.

“Do you get much wildlife in the rainforest?”, we asked.

“No, not really”, said the guide.

Next minute we see a troupe of Capucin monkeys (hooray, monkeys) in the trees. After stopping for a few photos, we move down, and round the corner is a band of coatimundi, a little later on we see . . .

(Hang on?)

. . . some huge catfish, about a meter long, turtles . . .

(Hang on a minute?)

. . . loads of exotic butterflies . . .

(‘Scuse me, did I hear you right, “coatimundi”? )

Yes, so ?

(Explain please ?)

Sigh (roll eyes).

Coatimundi, also known as the Brazilian aardvark, Mexican tejón, hog-nosed coon, pizotes, Panamanian Gatosolo, crackoons or snookum bears (I’m not making any of this up, honest) are members of the raccoon family. I guess they’re Brazil’s answer to the armadillo, part anteater at the front, part racoon at the back (bit like some people I know).

Now, can I carry on please ?

(Yes, of course).

. . . some agouti and a variety . . .

(Wait - stop!)

What now (rolling of eyes again, but more exaggerated ) ?

(Did you just say “agouti” ?)

Yes, agouti. Rodents. Like large guinea pigs, up to about 2 foot long.

Now can I carry on ?

(Oooh (sarcastically), handbags at dawn).

(ignoring) . . . of exotic birdlife including vultures. Apparently, they can also get puma, jaguar and oscelots (how many?) in the forest, but only in the more remote parts.

So, when the guide said “no, not really”, we wondered what he meant? Is it that he sees it all the time and just takes it for granted ? Maybe it was his first day ?

We’ll never know !

Anyway . . .

Iguazu (or is it Iguasu) Falls date from around 150 million years ago and consists of 275 separate waterfalls nowadays. The biggest is the Devil's Throat standing at 90 metres high. The falls are evidently classed as one of the New 7 Natural Wonders of the World and it’s easy to see why. Apparently, upon seeing Iguazu Falls for the first time, the United States' First Lady Eleanor Roosevelt reportedly exclaimed "Poor Niagara!".

It’s now tomorrow (or if you’re reading this tomorrow, today) and we did the Brazilian side today ( or the day before yesterday, if you’re reading this the day after tomorrow for you, or tomorrow for us). This included a white water raft excursion up to the falls (which we didn’t expect). Plus, the driver (pilot, captain, man) even took the boat right under one of the waterfalls which completely soaked everyone. Oh, how we laughed!

Iguazu (or is it Iguasu) Falls are amazing. Both our daughters, Fran and Binx, have been here and now we know what they’re talking about. Mind blowing (not going to have much mind left at this rate, no comments please).

We’re staying in a rather nice 5 star hotel on the Brazilian side – the Mabu Thermas – (don’t blame me, blame that nice man at Trailfinders). The pool is fed by a natural hot water spring, consequently, it’s like getting in to a warm bath. It’s also open 24 hours, so last night we had the pleasure of swimming in a warm pool under the Moon and the stars (still got a good view of the Southern skies too). Thinking of opening something similar in our back garden when we get back.

Talking of which, tomorrow we fly to Rio, for the last leg of our journey, and what a journey it has been. We’re ready to come home, if only to get a haircut, do some washing, have a decent cup of tea and see our loved ones before we set off again (only joking Mum, everyone else, no I’m not).

One thing that has astounded us, all the way round, is how nice everyone has been. Consequently, we’re thinking of having a party (to celebrate the loveliness of everyone, and the loveliness of our friends and family), probably Sat 28th April (Bank Holiday weekend). Everyone who has been reading the blog (and knows our address) is invited, so pencil it in. Will confirm when we get home.

Finally, I can’t upload panoramic pictures to the blog, but below is a link to a good one of the falls. Once it’s loaded, click on the picture to make it full size, then move around using the scroll bars. Get someone to squirt you in the face with a plant spray while you’re doing it and it’ll give you a good idea of what it’s like here.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/9/95/Iguazu_D%!C(MISSING)3%!A(MISSING)9cembre_2007_-_Panorama_1.jpg

Anyway, just off for a Brazilian massage, might even consider a waxing while I’m there (mmm Brazilian waxing).

Toodle pip.

P.S. It’s actually ‘Iguaçu’

P.P.S. I wonder what they call "Brazil nuts" in Brazil? Nuts?


Additional photos below
Photos: 28, Displayed: 26


Advertisement



Tot: 0.138s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 11; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0783s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb