Curitiba 19 - 22 March 2010


Advertisement
Brazil's flag
South America » Brazil » Paraná » Curitiba
March 25th 2010
Published: March 29th 2010
Edit Blog Post

The capital of the state of Paraná, Curitiba is the biggest city in the South of Brazil, it has about 2 million inhabitants.
It is a modern city, known for its quality of life. It has many parks and open spaces and its innovative public transport solutions are copied all over the world.
We very much enjoyed visiting it, it was quite a contrast with Florianopolis where everything is thought to favour the real estate developers rather than the inhabitants.
We took the tourism Line bus and were able to visit many places of interest. Among them are the Largo da Ordem where we had the surprise to watch a play in open air. By accident we arrived in Curitiba in the week it hosts a yearly Theater Festival. Watching Oedipus King with a creative staging was a real treat.

Better known for his massive work in Brasilia, the famous Brazilian architect Oscar Niemeyer nevertheless left one of his most graceful works in Curitiba. It is officially called the Museo Oscar Niemeyer in his honor but is best known as the Museo the Olho or more simply the 'Olho' or the 'Eye'.

We also enjoyed walking in the Parke
001 Bus stop001 Bus stop001 Bus stop

You pay before you enter this bus 'stops' so that boarding is considerably speeded up.
Tingűi at the end of which we could visit the memorial built to honour the immigrants from Ukraine.

The opera de Arame, built in an old marble quarry was another surprise. It has a tubular structure and walls in transparent polycarbonate. Impressive!

The Centro Civico is another testimony of the city's visionary approach. In this neigbourhood all official buildings where concentrated, such as the governor's palace, the local parliament, the offices of the judicial power and other state secretariats.

There is of course much more to say, one thing cannot be omitted though, we also enjoyed the various restaurants as it turned out that Curitiba also got some of the best.

To know more about Curitiba, please visit:
http://www.v-brazil.com/tourism/parana/curitiba.html

or to have an insight on the origin of Curitiba's urban solutions see: http://www.globalideasbank.org/site/bank/idea.php?ideaId=2236


Additional photos below
Photos: 43, Displayed: 23


Advertisement

007 Rua XV de Novembro007 Rua XV de Novembro
007 Rua XV de Novembro

Also known as Rua das Flores, it is a pedestrian street where shopping is king.


29th March 2010

I loved Curitiba as well!!!
Ben, I´ve been in Curitiba for the first time two years ago. I spent just one weekend there and I loved it!!! The tourism bus is perfect to visit the most interesting points of the city, isn´t it? The Opera de Arame and the Museu Oscar Niemeyer are some of mine favourite places too. You were so lucky to be there during the Theater Festival!! It´s the biggest in Brazil. Even in São Paulo we don´t have anything like it, that happens every year, with Brazilian and foreign companies... I´d like to be there during the festival at least once... I´ll... Saudade! beijos pra você e pro Robson!!!
29th March 2010

de Philippe
Bonjour Messieurs, C'est toujours un réel plaisir de vous suivre à travers vos visites. J'apprend énormément même si je voyage par procuration :(. Bravo pour les photos et le texte très riche !!! Un grand merci car ici il pleut !!!! A bientôt, Cordialement, Philippe Van Malder

Tot: 0.059s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 12; qc: 31; dbt: 0.03s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb