Curitiba, Brazil


Advertisement
Brazil's flag
South America » Brazil » Paraná » Curitiba
January 18th 2005
Published: January 18th 2005
Edit Blog Post

Look what I found in my beer! A mini beer!Look what I found in my beer! A mini beer!Look what I found in my beer! A mini beer!

We loved the German-Brazilian hospitality in the German pub in Curitiba (a Brazilian place).
This entry's all about a not-so-famous-but-great-nonetheless place called Curitiba. It's located a bit down and to the left of Rio for the geography students amongst us.
Curitiba was described in the Lonely Planet as one of Brazil's urban success stories, and we thought we'd check it out on our way up to Rio via some beaches and other places. We arrived on the 18th of Jan in the early evening, and basically crossed the road from the bus station in order to check into our hotel. This was mainly for convenience, because the next morning we planned to take the "Scenic" train down to a place on the coast called Ilha do Mel (translation :- Honey Island). We got the tickets for the "Scenic" train and headed into town to check out this urban success story for ourselves.
We found ourselves in a cobbled pedestrian street and wandered down it (I will interject here with something important I just remembered)

Brazil's cashpoint system is very strange and not tourist-friendly - Visa? they have hardly heard of it. You will often see cash machines that recognise no international standard cards. So don't run out of cash and then find a cashpoint

Us, hanging around in CuritibaUs, hanging around in CuritibaUs, hanging around in Curitiba

As you can see, we're on a nice cobbled street and it's all very civilised
like you do in the rest of the world (even Bolivia) - you need to plan you spending!

So, thanks for listening to that little public service announcement - I thought it prudent to mention. I was in the middle of saying that we found a German-themed pub and had a couple of beers and some nice quality German food. Good stuff it was and we had a nice time before heading to bed. In the morning we left Curitiba on the "Scenic" train.

Back in Curitiba
We arrived back in Curitiba after our little visit to Ilha do Mel (Island of Honey) on the 22nd of Jan and checked back into the same hotel across from the Bus station as before. It was, after all, good quality and good value as well as good location. We ended up finding a shopping centre and having an amazing steak in a restaurant inside.

The next day we paid for another night in the hotel before heading off into town. At reception in the morning, an incident worthy of mention took place - that of the Frenchman (Englishless, and Portugueseless) trying to explain in French that a lightbulb wasn't working in his room. Pretty tricky situation at the best of times (French to a Portuguese-speaker) but coupled with the fact that the french guy had had his voicebox removed (probably for some throat cancer) it was obviously proving near-impossible.
Long story short; muggins got involved and got so far as to understand the whisper-french of this old chap and translate it into Spanish so the Brazilian guy at reception could understand.
I'm sure there's a really good joke in there somewhere, apart from the fact that any good joke needs to take the piss out of the Germans, as well as the French.

So, where next? Well, we pretty much enjoyed Curitiba for the day (it was a Sunday) and ended up back in the German place for food and beers again. The next day, we spent the majority of the day updating the weblog and took the 8pm night bus to Rio de Janeiro (and you've probably already read about that one if you've been keeping up with us).

See you all in New Zealand....


Additional photos below
Photos: 12, Displayed: 12


Advertisement

Does anyone recognise this man?Does anyone recognise this man?
Does anyone recognise this man?

A prize for the first person with the correct answer!! (there was a big fuss about him at the railway station at Paranagua)
The view from the "scenic" railwayThe view from the "scenic" railway
The view from the "scenic" railway

I'm sure it would be brill on a clear day
Coming into port in ParanaguaComing into port in Paranagua
Coming into port in Paranagua

Beautiful little harbour-front with old-style buildings all painted nice colours
The impressive-looking Universidade do Parana in CuritibaThe impressive-looking Universidade do Parana in Curitiba
The impressive-looking Universidade do Parana in Curitiba

(university of Parana). Parana being the region or state, and Curitiba being the capital. I think...


22nd June 2005

tank you your visit
Moro em Paranaguá, agradecemos a sua visita em nossa cidade e desde já nos colocamos a inteira disposição para recebê-lo quando quiser. Um abraço Jackson. jacksonjorge@ig.com.br
5th March 2006

Right!
Yes, Curitiba is the Parana capital ! :) My friend from canada just sented the link of this site when he was finding about honey island (he wanna come here some day, i hope! hehe) Anyway, nice blog! I'll visit it more often. Cya! Giovanni gigio2k3@hotmail.com
17th March 2006

"suburban brasil"
...funny how suburban brasil is misrepresented....
18th March 2006

Answer to Annalog
Maybe the suburbs is misrepresented, for the same reason, people don't post pictures of trailler parks in US, or the buildings of projects in Chicago, Detroit and other cities where the black people live. Why Anna we don't see pictures of Compton - Ca?? Why??
11th May 2006

Thanks
Thanks for all the great pictures and info about Curitiba (especially about the Visa Credit cards). My husband and I are planning a trip to Curitiba in October 06 to pick up our son who has been living there for two years serving a Mormon mission, and we appreciate your fun, informative, and interesting blog!
1st August 2006

visa
about visa i dont agree...i always had visa there... maybe you had a bad time at some place...but is not always like that!! :)
3rd December 2006

curitiba
It's interesting how we, brazilian, see how you (not brazilian) see our country and our cities. I use to travel too. And i think that the most important thing to do, when we are in a new place, is to keep our eyes open. Open to the difference and open to the nice things...
3rd December 2006

Yes.. we are civilised.. What do you think you would find?
23rd January 2007

Love Curitiba
My husband, kids, and I moved to Curitiba in July of 2006 from USA and will be here for at least 3 years - husband works for EXXON. Have been here 6 months now and we absolutely love it here. You can use your VISA everywhere!!!! The people are by far the best thing in Curitiba. Have made trips to Florinopolis and to Foz Iguacu so far but hope to go to Honey Island soon. My only negative is that we were used to very nice hotels in the US and even though we have been to some very expensive supposedly 5 star hotels, I have not been overly impressed so far.

Tot: 0.063s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 11; qc: 29; dbt: 0.0286s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb