Last few days in Belem


Advertisement
Brazil's flag
South America » Brazil » Pará » Belém
September 25th 2007
Published: September 25th 2007
Edit Blog Post

The MarketThe MarketThe Market

The huge market area in Belem (Vero Pas), where you need to keep your wits about you. Very busy, bustling and full of life many fish and fruit I´ve never seen before.
Fri 21st Sept:
After another noisy night in hotel 'met up with Diego and Georgette and visited Indigenous Museum, the market and the Zoo - the latter was v. interesing; set out in typical tropical forest with wide range of animals, birds and plant life. However the humidity was almost unbearable; the sudden heavy downpours did not help - retreated to an AC Cafe where we had traditional tapioca wraps; mine was infilled with cheese and nuts - bland to taste. Now getting used to the heat but not the humidity; also more familiar with local buses (omnibus) - one fare takes you anywhere in the city. Crossing any road is life threatening - all drivers (cyclists and motorcyclists included) are crazy - no regard for pedestrians.
´Back to the hotel weary from lots of walking; though this is supposed to be the dry season heay downpours continue, pleased I´m not here in the wet season!

Sat 22nd Sept:
Used hotel internet to type up blog but tempremental connection and lost all - frustrated! Lucio and Georgette arrived & suggested I check out of hotel and spend night at their place as I have an early flight tomorrow. Rapidly
Indigenous Fishing HomeIndigenous Fishing HomeIndigenous Fishing Home

On the way yo Cortuba Island we passed other islands and saw a variety of stilted wooden homes belonging to the indigenous people who lived there and survived by fishing.
packed and headed towards the beach with them; after an hours drive through the contrasting suburbs (guarded/gated and security fenced rich communities side by side with sprawling poor communities in corrugated shacks), we arrived at a port where we took a 45 min boat ride to the island of Cortuba. There are 43 islands in the Amazon estuary - one is a big as Switzerland! No cars on the island of Cortuba except for police. A tractor with a converted trailer took us on a bumpy 40 min ride on a pot-holed dirt road to near the beach; after a few mins walk through some undergrowth we emerged at a 20Km spectacular white sandy beach dotted with palm trees - well worth waiting for (a dream picture)! The water was fresh (not salty) and warm. A great swim followed by a local fish lunch with rice and black beans. The wind kept the humidity low - just bliss! However time went too quickly and before we knew it we missed our tractor ride back to boat. We hired some locals with motorbikes and rode pillion with them - a white-knuckle trip - and just caught the last boat back!
Back
The Governor´s House - BelemThe Governor´s House - BelemThe Governor´s House - Belem

A stark contrast to the living quarters of the vast majority. The gap between the rich and poor here is very wide.
at Lucio´s apartment Diego joined us for a meal and though I intended to get an early night we chatted until v. late followed by a few hours sleep in the hammock.

Sun 23rd Sept:
'Slept through the alarm and did not wake until 5:05 with the ´plane leaving at 6:20; fortunately Lucio lives close to the airport so 'drove at breakneck speed and managed to just catch my ´plane.
Great flight with TAM airways - very comfortable and no waiting around; landed in Brasilia at 8:35 and got a taxi to Casablanca Hotel - much better class than previous hotel though more expensive. Popped into tourist office before leaving airport where the receptionist was very helpful - maps and lots of information. Got organised in the hotel and had a nap for a couple of hours. My watch finally gave up - the humidity got to it. I treated myself to a cheap one at the market to last me until I get other one repaired. Went up TV tower situated not far from hotel and took photos of panoramic views of city - amazingly well planned in the shape of a plane facing two large lakes; well
Bliss on a tropical islandBliss on a tropical islandBliss on a tropical island

This is the life! Over20Km of pure white beach, warm fresh water and a few Caipirhinis! ......... and no paperwork!!
organised with dwellings on the wings of the plane, and hotels, sports facilities, and shopping centres in their own sections in the body of the plane; the government and administrative buildings were in the nose of the 'plane. All roads were in a grid system, so it was easy to find your way around.
...an early night!


Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement

View From TV Tower - BrasiliaView From TV Tower - Brasilia
View From TV Tower - Brasilia

Brasilia- federal capital of Brazil. This is a view from half way up the TV tower, near the hotel, showing main boulevard which goes through the centre of city - the body of the plane.
Municiple Buildings - BrasiliaMuniciple Buildings - Brasilia
Municiple Buildings - Brasilia

The only tall buildings in Brasilia are those for Government purposes. All living quarters are no more than 6 stories which are on the wings near the body of the plane; the rest decrease in size from there outwards.


Tot: 0.11s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 10; qc: 48; dbt: 0.0734s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb