The Good Life


Advertisement
South America » Brazil » Pará » Belém
May 15th 2007
Published: May 15th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Sitting here now in the city of Belem all the way up at the mouth of the Amazon, and thinking back on all that’s happened in the last month and everything we’ve done, it seems all too much to fit on one entry. Cruising the beautiful coastline of northeast Brazil, we have experienced several new things, seen countless picturesque beaches, and met many wonderful people; all the while taking o... Read Full Entry



Photos are below
Photos: 55, Displayed: 21


Advertisement

The World’s Biggest Cashew Nut TreeThe World’s Biggest Cashew Nut Tree
The World’s Biggest Cashew Nut Tree

This whole thing is actually just one tree – covering an entire city block, and producing 70000 cashew nuts a year!
One Size Fits AllOne Size Fits All
One Size Fits All

A common sight in Brazil. Very often you will also see a fully-grown man on a little kid’s bike, apparently with no idea of how ridiculous he looks.
Awesome AssizAwesome Assiz
Awesome Assiz

We met Assiz, an extremely chilled and friendly guy, at the paradise town of Canoa Quebrada. As often happens to us here, he was a Bandeirante fan and came to talk to us about the car. Almost immediately we became close friends, even though he spoke no English. Thanks to his endless patience, after 2 weeks with him our Portuguese had improved 10-fold, and at times it felt we were conversing like we both had the same mother tongue.
Awesome AssizAwesome Assiz
Awesome Assiz

He also invited us to stay with him in his simple house on the beach, and showed us how he makes his living selling jewellery on the beach, which he makes from silver and stones.
Beach TripBeach Trip
Beach Trip

With Assiz as our guide, we did a 50km trip along the ocean to see the endless beaches and natural sculptures of Canoa Quebrada.
Brazilian HospitalityBrazilian Hospitality
Brazilian Hospitality

Before we knew what had happened, Assiz invited us to stay at his ex-wife’s place in Fortaleza (170km from Canoa Quebrada), called her up, she accepted, and the next thing the 3 of us were on our way up to Fortaleza to meet Assiz’s ex, Andrea, and their 2 kids, Samuel and Serena.
Brazilian HospitalityBrazilian Hospitality
Brazilian Hospitality

A few days later Assiz caught the bus back, and Andrea and the kids also had to leave to Canoa to check up on their pousada (b&b). Amazingly, they insisted that we stay on at the place, and so we were left alone with this big house for another week. Talk about trust hey…
Psycho BirdPsycho Bird
Psycho Bird

Andrea´s beautiful, but slightly evil, parrot.
Polly Wants a GuavaPolly Wants a Guava
Polly Wants a Guava

and maybe Tom´s finger too
AdrianoAdriano
Adriano

The truck mechanic who did the final check-up on our car before the big Fortaleza-Belem trip. There were so many loose screws, we’re surprised the car was still holding together! Adriano was another kind soul we met, who made sure our stomachs were full every day and also let us sleep at his house, where the kids sleep in hammocks – apparently the norm in the more inland parts of Brazil, where he´s from. A truck driver himself, he could also help us lots with useful information on which roads were dodgy and which were safe.
Coffee BreakCoffee Break
Coffee Break

On the way up to Belem, we stopped to sleep at the town of Ubajara and stayed at this enchanting coffee plantation.



17th May 2007

love your trip!
unreal!would not mind to join you only for a month or even a week or even a day...

Tot: 0.133s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 18; qc: 98; dbt: 0.086s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb