Rio and Ouro Preto Rocks On


Advertisement
Brazil's flag
South America » Brazil » Minas Gerais » Ouro Preto
February 24th 2007
Published: February 24th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Hey Hey,

I am now back in Sao Paulo on my way to an Island called Ihla Bella after spending the last week in Rio and Ouro Preto having an amazing time. Carnaval could not have been mroe fun.. we had an absolute ball.

After leaving Salvador I was not dissapointed with the Awesomness of Rio. It truly is a beautiful city, not because of the buildings but simply the landscape. Tunnels connect suburbs under hills, there are lagoons.. amazing beaches and a huge protected national park all in the central area. The big Jesus man sits on top of the hill in this national park. The first 2 days there I spent with my parents in another swanky hotel, we went up to see the Corcodova (Big Jesus Man) and checked out a really nice Botanical garden with the biggest water lillies in the world and endless pretty flowers. After my parents departed, to meet Marina and the clan near Sao Paulo I spent 2 extra nights staying at a hostel In Cococabana (Yes, just like the song) before heading up to Ouro Preto to meet everyone for Carnaval. The Hostel was nice but most of the people staying there were loud and obnoxious. I made friends with this really nice couple from Chile who taught me how to Samba in a club in Lapa... Well they tried.. I just kick my legs around as fast as I can.. which is quite fast i must add. Lapa was cool.. it has this big concrete train overpass thing with people selling beer and cocktails in the street. $R3 for a massive Caparinha, which is a famous brazillian drink. The next day I was meant to get an easy bus to Ouro Preto, This easy bus turned out to be a 11 hour wait at the bus port. I just sat next to these guuys singing chilled out reggae songs for a about 3 hours and read.. it was really quite boring but at least I had some entertainment.

Ouro Preto............ where do I begin. This place is the old Capital of Mina Gerias (the state where Rio and Ouro Preto are located) and in about 1830 they decided to move the capital to Belo Horizonte and list Ouro Preto as a Heritage sight. This means that there are no buildings in this town newer than 170 years... It is absolutely amazing. It is situated in the hills, so the town goes up and down and in and out of valleys.. the streets here are impressively steep. As the Gold industry that founded the town is no longer it has turned into a University town with about 150 different Republicas (faculties). This meant for an amazing Carnaval. No one knows how to party like the Brazillians at Carnaval and no one knows how to party like Uni Students.. this created one giant party. I was staying in a Pousada (Bed and Breakfast) right in the centre of town with 19 other people who are also here for Marina and Andrews Wedding. We went out and partied with the uni students for 5 nights in a row.. the narrow, steep cobble stone streets were packed with people drinking, dancing and singine everynight. We were adopted as the token Australians at one of the Frat houses and we were fed free drinks everynight. We drank with them, sang with them. danced with them.. tried to talk with them. It was awesome. Brazillians love to pash.. basically if a guy sees a girl he likes the look of walk past he will grab her hand and just go in for a snog, if she wants a pash they pash then they walk off in opposite directions, if she doesn't want a´pash she avoids it and he tries someone else. One of the Brazillians we were staying with kissed 57 girls in the 4 nights he was there.. haha.

The last 10 days have been incredible and I cannot wait for next 9 spent on the Island... I am aiming to be a skinny brown boy rather than a skinny white boy by the end of my trip.

Till next time Amigos....




Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement



26th February 2007

Loving the blog
Hey dave, Blogs been great man hope you keep it up for the last 10 days I've been reading it with intrest. Liking all the bits of general knowledge inbetween. Keep it up!!!

Tot: 0.075s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 12; qc: 61; dbt: 0.0453s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb