Pantanal


Advertisement
Brazil's flag
South America » Brazil » Mato Grosso do Sul
June 17th 2009
Published: June 22nd 2009
Edit Blog Post

TentTentTent

We camped right beside a river full of caiman.
Had 3 amazing days in the Pantanal. Went the whole hog on the camping option, chose a tent instead of an indoor hammock, glad we did, even though it was fairly cold one night and the showers were at natural temperature. The tent was right next to the river - which was full of caiman (a kind of crocodile or alligator) and piranha, the trees were full of parrots, eagles, toucans and other exotic birds, and the sky was full of stars - simply incredible !!! On our jeep safari we saw monkeys, deer, foxes, capybara, iguana, giant storks, wild otters and best of all a big (2.5m - 3m) anaconda. Also did river trips, horse riding and fishing - where Atsuko showed me up by catching 4 good sized piranha to my null point :-( they were then fried for lunch, not much meat on them but fairly tasty, the small bones were crunchy and tasted good. The whole 3 days were an unforgettable experience. On the recommendation of almost everybody we've talked to we're heading to Bonito for river snorkeling and cave lakes.


Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement



26th June 2009

I can see that you saw "monkeys". What kind of monkeys ?????? Looks like a great trip and great idea to share with us. Keep enjoying it ! Paulo

Tot: 0.056s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 10; qc: 31; dbt: 0.0261s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb