Floating on a river!


Advertisement
Brazil's flag
South America » Brazil » Mato Grosso do Sul » Bonito
September 22nd 2005
Published: September 22nd 2005
Edit Blog Post

We arrived yesterday after 4 buses and 20 hours on the road! We were well tired. Great hostel, got hamocks, pool, relaxing area all outside (as it is warm up north) all for 5quid each a night.
So we are in Bonito, yes we changed our route, it´s a little town in the middle of no where, near Bolivia (look it up!) There is one main road through it and all the other roads are dirt tracks. Just chilled out last night after checking out the ´town´and booking a tour for tomorrow.

Today we were up at 6.50am as we were being picked up at 7.30.
We were going to go and float down a river, I know that doesnt sound so good but wait, this had been recomended by a south african couple we met in Florianopolis.

We were in a group with 4 others (Brazilian) luckily 1 spoke english and she became our interpreter for the whole tour as the guide didn´t speak english.
We got to a working farm (like from the western movies) it was massive. Got our wetsuits and shoes, very attractive, and hopped on the back of an open truck.
Got dropped off
One of many fishOne of many fishOne of many fish

See how clear it is.
and we walked for 30mins or so. The first thing we saw were wild capachines (monkeys) so that was cool! I (mel) saw a toucanflying above!! That was really cool! Showed us the river (Rio Sucuri) and how crystal clear it is. This is because of the sand and the minerals in the water. Straight away we could see big fish swimming about, not like the tiddlers Andy catches.

Got to the river where we got our snorkels and life jackets and got in.
You then just let the flow take you and float for over 2000m with your head in the water looking at the amazing fish. We even went over a little waterfall which was a little scarey as everything was rushing past and it got quite shallow. In the river you can see about 30m down the river it´s that clear! We took lots of photos, but they are on our underwater cameras so you´ll have to wait.

We had a lovely lunch included (more brazilian food, nice) and then we relaxed in the hammocks in the afternoon.

Tomorrow we are having a chilling day here round the pool as we are always busy. Then on Sat we are going to the Pantanal camping to see lots of animals. Very excited about this.

Advertisement



25th September 2005

As you two are heading to warmer places, it's getting colder here! That river sounds and looks lush - what an experience! The ultimate chillout - just floating down a river watching fish! Photo's are great - hurry with the next lot!!xxx

Tot: 0.2s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 34; qc: 142; dbt: 0.1196s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.4mb