Jericocos


Advertisement
Brazil's flag
South America » Brazil » Ceará » Jericoacoara
August 22nd 2006
Published: August 22nd 2006
Edit Blog Post

This is real.This is real.This is real.

Yep, just a regular ole sunset in Jeri.
Despite the towns of Praia da Pipa and Jericoacoara being constantly compared by travelers as equals, they´re truly not. In order to get to Jeri, you must hop on a all-terrain vehicle that drives you an hour over barren beaches and dunes and kilometers and kilometers of uninhabited land. I mean, the city is literally in the middle of absolutely nowhere. All the streets are composed of nothing but sand, so there´s a feel that you´re on the beach wherever you are.

In Jeri you can do almost anything you can imagine from lounging lazily in front of your pousada to playing soccer on the beach to windsurfing to kitesurfing to hiking to horseback riding to taking yoga classes to learning capoeria on the beach to going on a buggy excursion. Once again, the four of us (me + Italian + Brits) didn´t do much of anything, which was fantastic. One day we went on a buggy trip all day, riding on the back of the buggy across beach, dunes, and even rivers. Not only exciting, the trip was an amazing chance to see some of the breathtaking landscapes that this regions has. At points you feel as if you´re
Dune runDune runDune run

After watching the sun set over the ocean from atop a dune on the onskirts of town, everyone runs down the enormous drop down to the beach below and then heads into town for food and drinks.
lost in a desert, but then suddenly over the next ridge you see a bright, green lagoon in the middle of a sea of sand, like an oasis. Besides that, we went really fast and even dropped straight down a 40-meter dune wall at about a 65-degree-from parallel grade, gunnning it all the way down.

Also, the sunsets are not to be missed in Jeri. (It´d be impossible.) Everyone goes to a large dune just outside town to watch the sun set over the water. Not only is the sunset spectacular, but the colors in the sky afterwards are just as gorgeous.

On a side note, I´ve managed to learn a bit of Italian in my journeys. August is the Italian vacation month, and Natal and Jeri where absolutely crawling with them, plus I traveled with my friend Raffael for almost two weeks. I can´t speak but a few words, but I´ve gotten to where I can understand about 75% of what´s going on. Who would´ve thought that?


Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement

DunasDunas
Dunas

Amazing landscape, the dunes stretch as far as the eye can see, but are dotted by lagoons that make a nature oasis for people and animals.
BuggyBuggy
Buggy

Fun and fast.
It reminds me of Oregon TrailIt reminds me of Oregon Trail
It reminds me of Oregon Trail

Forging a river on our buggy ride.
Capoeira at duskCapoeira at dusk
Capoeira at dusk

Capoeristas play the dance/martial art on the beach starting in late afternoon and going until they run of out light. Quite a sight to see.
DuskDusk
Dusk

The sky was stunning in Jeri, every night.


22nd August 2006

man ... i'm jealous of all the beautiful places you're getting to see! good photos. take care.

Tot: 0.099s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 16; qc: 65; dbt: 0.0604s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb