Barra de Serinhaém


Advertisement
Brazil's flag
South America » Brazil » Bahia
January 8th 2015
Published: January 8th 2015
Edit Blog Post

Serinhaem is a remote fishing village on the mouth of the Santarem river. The main way to get there is getting to Itubera and then by boat (two to three hours) or by « lancha », a speedboat (45 minutes). The community is also served by an « ambulancha » (a river ambulance) in case of emergencies . The hospital in Itubera is about 800 metres from the quai, making it easily accessible by the riverain communities. Another way to get to Serinhaem is leaving Itubera by car, going to the Pratigi beach (an amazing beach for swimmers and surfers, the favourite of the locals) and wait for the low tide and drive along the beach the 18 km that separate Pratigi from Serinhaem. There is a river to cross and this access depends also on the amount of rain that has fallen in the period. Anyhow, we chose not to drive in Bahia but rely on buses and boats.

Wherever we go or whomever we speak to, we are asked why would someone decide to spend new years eve in Serinhaem. Even in Serinhaem, in the nice, simple « pousada » we stayed they asked us the same question. We wanted to get back to the basics, enjoy the blue sky during the day and the starry sky at night. We needed to forget our watches, computers, swim with the fish, walk in nature, and most of all, be taken care of.

We stayed at the pousada Recanto da Natureza, an eight room pousada run by « seu Sinho », his sister was the cook. Food was excellent and the fish they prepared for us for New Years Eve is worth to mention. The fish was called « vermelho ». Others guests were two groups ; a family from Salvador de Bahia and two other couples from a city called Rondonopolis in the state of Matogrosso. After our dinner we made our way to the village and enjoyed seeing the locals celebrating the reveillon with beer, music and dancing, a lot of everything. We stayed at this place until the third of January. After Serinhaem we took a boat to Barra Grande, another beach place with crystal waters and fantastic golden sand.


Additional photos below
Photos: 29, Displayed: 23


Advertisement

3 Our Room3 Our Room
3 Our Room

The room on the left
19 Bon apétit19 Bon apétit
19 Bon apétit

We were given a kind of hammer to crush the crab's legs.
22 New Years eve22 New Years eve
22 New Years eve

"Vermelho" fish, delicious...


Tot: 0.096s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 8; qc: 53; dbt: 0.0629s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb