Salvador


Advertisement
Brazil's flag
South America » Brazil » Bahia » Salvador
September 20th 2006
Published: September 20th 2006
Edit Blog Post

We decided to miss out Itacare as it was just another beach resort and do the long stretch journey straight to Salvador. The bus journey took 10 hours and wasnt that bad APART from the girl with the longest legs sitting in front of us and a screaming new born behind us.

We found a hostel in the lonely planet which the taxi man and we subsequently found out was closed. We had a look at some others but we were so disgusted we ran out of there. Then a really nice police man (who was learning Italian in 15mins by book) and a guy called Paulo took charge of us and found as an okay place called Hotel Artemis in a good location. It just so happend that Paulo was the receptionist there. He was such a kind man though. Really friendly and helpful. We just made breakfast too - a delightful spread of banana and ants.

The room was really basic. The power shower was a rubber tap with 4 holes in it and wires hanging out around it. We were also given single dirty sheet beds - lovely for our 2 week honeymoon. No way did we get under the covers! Good ol BA Blankets.

Salvador is a very lovely bright place though - despite being quite scared its definately worth a visit. Lovely music and churches. People dancing and singing no matter what time and wherever they were. Porverty is really obvious though with kids on crack coming up to you ALLL the time.

We went to the market in the downtown area and we also decided to go to a Cambolye ritual where people go into trances. It was interesting for the first 20mins but our guide left us so we had no idea why people were screaming and going into trances and we missed the cake in the end!!!!! The whole thing lasted for 4 hours. !!!

We went to Barra beach on our last day.

They have these really amazing concerts on all the time too with drums in the streets and everyone just dances and sings and drinks.

speak soon. xx

Advertisement



Tot: 0.076s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 11; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0413s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb