Pelourinho-The historic center


Advertisement
South America » Brazil » Bahia » Salvador
September 16th 2009
Published: September 16th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Pelourinho-or Pelor for short, is the historic center of Salvador. The word Pelourinho derives from a word meaning "whipping post". Salvador is currently the cultural center of Brazil because it is the oldest city in with deep connections to its colonial past and it was the first capital of Brazil from the 16-18th century. Slaves used to be brought here to work on the sugar plantations, but later,... Read Full Entry



Photos are below
Photos: 72, Displayed: 21


Advertisement

P9170092P9170092
P9170092

Inside the oundation. Fred is giving us the low-down on Gorge Amado.
Captains of the SandCaptains of the Sand
Captains of the Sand

This is going to become a Hollywood film in the upcoming year. It's about street kids.
Tent of Miracles (?)Tent of Miracles (?)
Tent of Miracles (?)

I'm iffy on that title...
A tiny statueA tiny statue
A tiny statue

It was in the house...
Shot of the squareShot of the square
Shot of the square

We were just in the blue building. I guess this is where the slaves were sold.
Alley way to the rightAlley way to the right
Alley way to the right

Gorge Amado lived in the yellow building with 700+ tenants.
P9170087P9170087
P9170087

We're heading to that church. This is the one that took 100 years to build.
P9170105P9170105
P9170105

I needed to get the name of the church.
P9170104P9170104
P9170104

Inside. This place is supposed to be poppin' on Tues and Sun. Catholic church attended by blacks. Humble compared to the gold crested St Francis
Shot of the ceilingShot of the ceiling
Shot of the ceiling

There is something about the red paints.. or pigments in painting being blood of oxen. I do not know the significance of that.
back of the churchback of the church
back of the church

These were planted to the side of the cemetery. People were buried in churches, except for blacks because they were not considered human. Anyway, the back of this church has a cemetery for blacks.
P9160071P9160071
P9160071

Dancing in one of the shops.



17th September 2009

Wow, such rich history. I always thought there was something lacking in American history. Only 200 years. So cool that you live so close to the sea. I think I need to live in a port city. I like the ocean. Stanford is starting to feel a little landlocked. The bay is close by but not sure if it's close enough for me to bike to.
17th September 2009

Oh yeah, have you had any sodas in glass bottles? Do the bottles seem old and have etched rings around the mid-section? If so, that's because they reuse the bottles and the "rings" are from the machines that wash and refill them.
17th September 2009

I like many things here. The warm weather, the fresh fruits (the avocados here are gigantic, I haven't eaten any yet, but I'll take a pic at the market and compare it to another fruit for you), the desserts, the coconuts, the sea and beaches! We fill out a questionnaire for the homestay and I declared that I love desserts, so when I met my host mom at the luncheon and it was time for dessert, she was like "I know you like dessert, let's get some." And after dinner, I usually get dessert. And sometimes, I get them three times a day! (I haven't weighed myself since I still fit my clothes) Yeah, the colonial history here starts 1500s, earlier than the States which I believe is 1600s..a century later. Brazil is interesting. It recently became democratic in the 1980s. It's mandatory to vote (like in Australia). There is very high illiteracy rate. It is rated the #2 country with the highest income inequality, behind Botswana(?). (I'm just sharing what I learn in culture class) Of the estimated 22 million Africans that left Africa, referring to the slave trade, 11 million arrived to the Americas (I believe the ones that didn't make it perished along the way), 4 million were brought to Brazil, and of those, 2 million came through Salvador. Isn't that crazy? The States had the 2nd biggest proportion of slaves. I haven't bought soda. I see glass bottled soda so I'll check it out next time. I think that my aunt in China washes/works in a factory that washes bottles. Someone has to reuse those glass bottles.

Tot: 0.118s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 10; qc: 51; dbt: 0.0552s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb