Christmas in Salvador!


Advertisement
Brazil's flag
South America » Brazil » Bahia » Salvador
January 2nd 2006
Published: January 18th 2006
Edit Blog Post

We are pleased to announce that we have made it safely to Brazil!
After a more than interesting flight to Sao Paulo from Buenos Aires,where we pretty much feared for our lives after our plane was delayed due to engine failure we have made it to Salvador De Bahia...
So, the flight. Our first flight was delayed by 3 hours, and after about 45mins we started to feel more and more concerned after the pilot announced that one of the engines was failing (before take-off!) , not helped by the fact that we had a clear view of the cockpit (not quite a 747), and we could clearly see a couple of guys fiddling with numerous wires. Nevermind, all is well and we have vowed never to fly TAM again!
Our first impressions of Salvador... a Caribbean feel with fresh food and fruit juices sold on market stalls, added to this you can find samba dancers, artisans, and capoeira martial artists performing on a daily basis - but be warned, if you stand about watching thay are likey to want money from you.
Music is the soul of salvador and it can be heard in all hours of the day and night, especially Tuesdays, which turn into a mini carnaval!

Our first night we met up with Jo (friend from UK) and went to eat out in a local restaurant, and ended up nearly knocking the table over with our food on it, due to a cockroach that looked like the size of a human hand (well, maybe a two-year-olds!), preparing to sky dive onto our plates!...

We celebrated xmas on xmas eve with everyone in the hostel! The hostel laid out a full dinner, and we partied till the early hours and on xmas day we headed down to Barra beach!

We've sampled Samba, salsa, and taken part in a couple of capoeira classes - and definitely felt the effects for up to a week later! Highly recommended!












Additional photos below
Photos: 25, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



Tot: 0.149s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 8; qc: 46; dbt: 0.1158s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb