Salvador moves to the beat of the Capoeira


Advertisement
Brazil's flag
South America » Brazil » Bahia » Salvador
March 3rd 2008
Published: March 3rd 2008
Edit Blog Post

Salvador has been a great place to spend a few days. We have stayed in the upper town in the Nega Maluca hostel which has been great. Being back amongst fellow travellers has enabled us to share a few war stories and to hear of other people's experiences too. Breakfast on the terrace has been great and you can't beat chilling out in a hammock for the afternoon.

The city itself has your head turning with every step you take. There's artwork, dancing, music and, of course, churches, everywhere. It's easy to fill a day or two just browsing. If you are lucky you will catch an impromptu display of capoeira music or dancing. The dance comes from an Angolan marshall art and the music is very heavy on the drums but it ensures you feel the beat!!

We haven't gotten around to using the beaches as they involve a bus ride out. Instead we rode the funicular and the "elevator" down to the lower town where we viewed the enormous labyrinth of craft stalls in the Mercado Modelo. We have managed to sit on the balcony of a very expensive pousada and drink a beer at sunset though.

You can have too much of relaxing though, so we are heading inland now to do some walking in a National Park, unless of course it's just too damned hot and the caipirinhas are cheap!




Additional photos below
Photos: 15, Displayed: 15


Advertisement

CapoeiraCapoeira
Capoeira

Great Graffiti
Big Black Women in Wedding Cake DressesBig Black Women in Wedding Cake Dresses
Big Black Women in Wedding Cake Dresses

They are everywhere, but this was the biggest of the lot!
Big Black Women in Wedding Cake DressesBig Black Women in Wedding Cake Dresses
Big Black Women in Wedding Cake Dresses

Something tells me she didn't want her photo taking!
The "Elevator"The "Elevator"
The "Elevator"

But we call it a lift!!
Tourists!!Tourists!!
Tourists!!

Wow, that's some shirt/short combination!


Tot: 0.08s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 9; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0457s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb