Say hello to my little friend...


Advertisement
Brazil's flag
South America » Brazil » Bahia » Salvador
March 15th 2007
Published: August 15th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0

Where in the world are we?


Meet Beruška , the latest addition to our little team.

After scouring the classifieds, the internet, and finally the streets of Salvador, for a Toyota Land Cruiser, we became convinced that these cars just don't exist in Salvador and prepared to move on to the next city, by bus.

Just then, guess who shows up - none other than the beautiful Beruška herself, and parked in the parking-lot of our apartment nogal. What followed next was a series of skillful negotiations (with Danilo, Nanda's brother doing most of the talking obviously), a check-up at the local Toyota mechanic followed by many, many hours watching and learning as they opened our baby up, kitted her out, and, it has to be said, discovered some unexpected issues, which went some way in terms of countering the discount we managed to organize on the price.

Nevertheless, some problems with this beast are inevitable - the car is after all a 1981 model - and we are just glad that, hopefully now, most of the issues have been found and taken care of. (Having said that, don't be surprised if we come back home as expert Toyota mechanics as a result of
BandeiranteBandeiranteBandeirante

In Brazil, Land Cruisers were locally produced (up until 2001 when the last one was made) and go by the name of Bandeirante here, which means "Pioneer" in Portuguese.
spending many hours under this tractor-of-a-car!)

Footnote: For the record I (Tom) had in mind a different, more hardcore name - like maybe "Brutus the Bandeirante". Anyhow, I let Liba have her way with "Beruška", which means "Ladybird" in Czech. We agreed that, depending on how Beruška treats us, a name-change along they way is possible and may even result in us choosing "Red Devil" instead!


Additional photos below
Photos: 19, Displayed: 19


Advertisement

EduardoEduardo
Eduardo

You are a legend! We can't thank you enough!
The End of the RoadThe End of the Road
The End of the Road

Some of the other less fortunate Bandeirantes in the op-shop
Snap!Snap!
Snap!

This truck carries the same engine as our Bandeirante.
The Car that Slammed into our BusThe Car that Slammed into our Bus
The Car that Slammed into our Bus

Whilst on the bus on the way home from the mechanic, this lady smashed into the back of us with her VW Passat.
The Car that Slammed into our BusThe Car that Slammed into our Bus
The Car that Slammed into our Bus

Salvadorian are, by the way, the craziest drivers we have ever seen, and make South African taxi-drivers seem like timid, law-abiding citizens. They have this amazing ability of creating 4 lanes out of only 2 existing ones...
Our Local HangoutOur Local Hangout
Our Local Hangout

After spending the day watching and learning from the mechanics, we would grab a drink at this street-corner bar where you could very quickly and easily make yourself many friends.
Silky SmoothSilky Smooth
Silky Smooth

We often saw this guy around the mechanic's area. He always carried his razor with him, and every once in a while would whip it out (at the bar, by the street, or on the move) and groom himself to perfection.
Some Sweet SalvadoriansSome Sweet Salvadorians
Some Sweet Salvadorians

At the parents of the family we bought the car from.
Some Sweet SalvadoriansSome Sweet Salvadorians
Some Sweet Salvadorians

Alberto - a man with big personality, and an even bigger family! We met at the mechanic where we were both fixing our cars up. Within an hour he invited us over to his brother's beach house for Sunday lunch with him and 40+ of his closest relatives.
Some Sweet SalvadoriansSome Sweet Salvadorians
Some Sweet Salvadorians

Luana - Alberto's very sweet niece, and much-needed translator that day. These are only a few of the many Salvadorians who have invited us into their homes. The caring people of Salvador is what we will miss the most once we leave, as they themselves admit that we will not find the same level of warmth anywhere else in Brazil.


23rd March 2007

So Impressed!
Hi Guys, I hope that you are both healthy and safe. Thank you so much for this journal, it is amazing! I have really enjoyed reading it and looking at the pictures. Your trip sounds fantastic! I am definitely jeolous! Look after yourselves and keep on having fun! Lots of love Yif and Trev
23rd March 2007

Keep it going
The blog is great, tomer. Keep it going, we are all reading with interest! LOL
23rd March 2007

Is that the suprise?
Well if that's it boychick, I hope she treats you well... I like silky smooth though!!! haha that's classic...
24th March 2007

Life....
While I sit at my work desk on Saturday morning, two glowing placades of pixelated accounting project staring back at me, I can only hope that one day I will be doing what you are.
24th March 2007

Tomer & Liba
Tomer, please let us know every day where exactly you are in Brazil, so we can follow. LOL Mom
29th March 2007

yo whats happening kiddies things looking pretty smooth in tom and liba land ha ha.i have a suggestion why dont you guys put up a page where you give tips and suggstions on what you have learnt eg: some skill you got while watching them fix the car.think about it get back to me chap.

Tot: 0.125s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 16; qc: 96; dbt: 0.0818s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb