BBBIIIIIIIGGG Party!!!


Advertisement
Brazil's flag
South America » Brazil » Bahia » Salvador
February 21st 2007
Published: February 26th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0

Where in the world are we?


The last few days have been non-stop partying as we joined the people of Salvador in celebrating the biggest party in the world - CARNAVAL!

Contrary to popular belief, Salvador (and not Rio de Janeiro) is the place to be for Brazil's carnaval. Rio's carnaval is very much a spectator sport - only tourists and rich Brazilians who can afford the expensive tickets "partake" in the party by watching the 7 samba schools perform their shows, after which 1 is chosen as the winner.

Salvador's carnaval, on the other hand, is for everyone.

People, young and old, pack a 5km stretch of road near the city centre, partying to the sounds of their favourite performers, who come parading down the street on giant trucks loaded with massive speakers.

Depending on your financial situation, there are 3 different options for participating in the celebrations. Those with money to spend tend to buy a t-shirt that gives you access to one of the many stages lining the street, overlooking the sea of faces below. A slightly cheaper and more active option is to purchase a vest, which allows you to join a group of people marching alongside one of the trucks from beginning to end. Lastly, for the rest of the plebs, and perhaps the biggest jol of all, you can just hit the street and join the party.

With more than 2 million people taking part in the action (in a city of only 3 million), this really is the biggest party in the world!


Additional photos below
Photos: 12, Displayed: 12


Advertisement



27th February 2007

Stay tuned! Hopefully before next week we should have some very exciting news...
28th February 2007

Sa-weeeet-aa
yoyo tom & Liba! From the looks of things u are having the time of ur lives. looks like a very interesting but awesome place! it seems so far fetched that people would just invite you into their homes like that. Very cool. im intrigued about the news!! better not keep us in suspense for too long! anyways chat soon ps ur fish are still alive! cant believe it! im sooo proud :) later -Dan
1st March 2007

None
Man, I'm so chuffed with you kids doing this. The blog looks fantastic, looks like the best time. I am freaking envious, without doubt. Bravo, bravo!!
2nd March 2007

Yo teeps
yo mr thomnas I can see that life is tough for u there but dont worry, im sure everything will be just fine O btw u hear that u have to be back by 9 dec? Thats wen doc's getting married
10th March 2007

Really big party ...
Hello, what about Liba dancing photos ? :o) Where are you now ? We are stay along time without new information and photos ...

Tot: 0.156s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 15; qc: 96; dbt: 0.1117s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb