northern brazil!


Advertisement
Brazil's flag
South America » Brazil » Bahia » Porto Seguro
February 13th 2005
Published: February 13th 2005
Edit Blog Post

bom noite-

we write this from a little town called puerto seguro (meaning safe port) that is north of rio about 1,300 KM. it is a sleepy little town that serves as a jumping off place for the beaches of brazil both north and south. We have had a great time since leaving rio discovering little beach towns and the rigors of bus travel in south america.

two nights ago we found ourselves extremely tired after our 19 hr over night journey but managed to blearyly drag ourselves to a beautiful call arrial d´adjuda. This place is absolute paradise. it is up on a bluff over looking bright blue or green ocean which is met by white sandy beaches. the water is like jumping into a warm bath tub. at night we got to experience our first taste of the bahian food and culture. we ate at this idyllic open air restaurant sounded by exotic vegetation and bahian melodies floating through the air. after our tasty mail of mocecqua(sp?), a bahian dish that uses whatever meat you want and cooks it up in coconut oil and some other spices, we wondered the coble stoned streets sipping on beers dancing to street musician after street musician.

our most surprising intro to local cultural was a street dance that was taking place in front of a local bar. it is similar to country line dancing but to traditional bahian music (sort of samba, reggae, and bossa nova all smashed together) but with strange spins and body contortions it was an absolute joy to watch.

yesterday we got on a bus and headed to a town called trancoso...hard to expand on the description above but trancoso was down right amazing. same beaches etc but also a perfect laid back personality. It also has a great set up with a town square that is grassy area about 3 football fields long surrounded by restaurants and lodging and just super ambiance. we were lucky to be in town because a local club was having a concert and we spent the night dancing under the night stars to a well known Brazilian performer named jair rodrigues. the night was long and filled with fresh fruit tropical drinks from fruit you have never before seen.

well our internet time is about to run out. I hope this finds everyone well....tomorrow we are off to illheus to learn to surf!!

Advertisement



Tot: 0.073s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 9; qc: 56; dbt: 0.0471s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb