a little bit dubious.. photos will follow


Advertisement
Brazil's flag
South America » Brazil » Amazonas » Manaus
April 28th 2006
Published: April 28th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Just a real quick one, sorry no photos as many computers do not have cd drives. After a brief stopover in Fortaleza and pretty short flight that deviated through Belem we have made it Manaus. Manaus is located halfway up the Amazon, pretty much smack bang between the mouth of the river at Belem (coastline) and Tabatinga, the border city, Brazillian side to Peru..

Today we did a day trip to check out the point where the Amazonas and the Rio Negro meet, which is pretty cool phenomenon as the water from each river is a different colour - yellow & black. We also headed out on little motorised canoes just off the main river to inspect the vegetation and have a chance of seeing some wildlife. We saw macaques, an aligator, maccaws, parrots and a few other cool colourful birds... and a few massive (bird size) blue butterflies.. very pretty.

Tommorrow we are heading off on our journey to Tabatinga via boat on the super highway through the Amazon. A brief look at the boat this afternoon however has left us a little dubious to where we may actually hang our hammocks (our accommodation for the next week!) due to the amount of cargo and stock being loaded on the boat and already on the boat!.. just standing there for 5 minutes we saw bags of flour, plywood & bathroom sinks being loaded on an already well stacked deck ..not to mention the pallets of softdrink already of board and the many many pallets more of local Skol beer ready for the loading.... i am crossing my fingers that most of this will overnight disappear and be loaded underdeck.. but i guess in 8-9 days time, youll find out also... if not, we~'ll definetly be giving a helping hand to offload some of that beer!

Advertisement



28th April 2006

hello!
hey bec, sounds like you are having such an amazing time, i am totally jealous looking at all your photos and hearing all the stories...keep safe! xx

Tot: 0.074s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 11; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0442s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1014kb