Xixuau Xiparina Reserve - Deep in the Amazon


Advertisement
Brazil's flag
South America » Brazil » Amazonas » Manaus
October 9th 2010
Published: November 22nd 2010
Edit Blog Post

Sunrise in the AmazonSunrise in the AmazonSunrise in the Amazon

Spectacular sunrise in the heart of the Amazon Region.
With a little knowledge of Portuguese and minimal idea on what to expect at Brazil. We figured, that instead of venturing to popular places like Rio, Salvador and Sao Paulo. This time around; we might as well try something different and push ourselves way out of our comfort zone.

We ended finding a place called "Xixuau Xiparina Reserve" where eco-tourism was a possibility and a chance to connect with locals of the region. Getting there was quite rough; an 18-20 hour boat ride sleeping and resting on hammock beds and another 6 hours on a small boat venturing into local communities; something that your normal travel book that can't prepare you from. In fact, we met few individuals that were amazed that we didn't bring any guide books. The way I see it; it just adds to the beauty of travelling.

Moving along; after 26 hours of travelling we ended up in a local village were Portuguese is the only way of communication. I was glad I knew a few just to get by but started to regret that it could have been better if learnt more. The inhabitants of the reserve was patient enough to accept my un-orthodox
In the thick of it allIn the thick of it allIn the thick of it all

Where's google maps when you need it...
Portuguese and accepted us into their community.

Our first day was spent trekking into the dense, thick and humid jungle. Our guide; a 5 ft tall, skinny and way older person was whipping our butts along the way as he continues to traverse deep in the jungle while we continually gasp for air. After a 2-3 hours; dead beat and exhausted. I decided to take a stroll near the shore lines to snap a few pics. Things were great until I noticed a body of water moving around and approaching our direction. Long and behold its a freaking crocodile; as soon as it registered in my brain; I high tailed out of there, big time! Apparently these "pets" tend to hang out the shore lines during noon to get their fare share of edible game caught by the villagers in the wild. When someone tells you that you'll be able to observe wildlife in the Amazon Region of Brazil. One would think that you're inside a boat, 3 storey's high and most probably 80 feet away. But If they said you'll be observing crocodiles lurking around 5 feet away while it waits for lunch. You'll definitely call that NUTS!!!
Having a normal conversation!Having a normal conversation!Having a normal conversation!

So normal, a Caiman is waiting to jump into the conversation
But apparently; thats part of norms in the region.

Before we were fortunate and bore witness to this spectacle. I was really looking forward to see exotic wildlife such as: anacondas, slofts, piranhas and possibly crocodiles but after that episode (a 14-18 feet crocodile devouring huge pieces of meat in the wild; in a non controlled area). I figured I've seen enough wildlife for this trip that would last me for the next 10 years.

One of the best parts was; I got to break bread with locals and have a taste of piranha dish that I've been long craving for.



Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement

Time to eat.Time to eat.
Time to eat.

Ding, ding, ding, ding...


Tot: 0.066s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 12; qc: 29; dbt: 0.0324s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb