Where the sea is blue...And the beer is cold...


Advertisement
Brazil's flag
South America » Brazil » Alagoas
October 30th 2012
Published: October 30th 2012
Edit Blog Post

Brazil's nordeste is famous for many things: its incredibly spicy food, its strong African cultural influence, its friendliness, its beautiful colonial era towns. Its thousands of kilometres of azure-watered, coconut-palm-fringed praias - beaches - are another. And so from pretty little Olinda I make my way along the coast to the next state south, Alagoas. Alagoas is Brazil's second smallest state - it's still a third larger than Wales, mind - and one of its poorest, despite its status as one of Brazil's most important producers of sugar (of which Brazil is the world's largest producer itself - that's a lot of sugar) and coconuts. Indeed, the view from the bus between Recife and Maragogi, the small seaside town where I will base myself for the next couple of days, consists of nothing but emerald green sugarcane fields and coconut palms as far as the eye can see.

The Atlantic Ocean only really comes into view as we enter Maragogi - an ocean so vividly blue it doesn't seem real. but it is: for miles and miles to the north and south of Maragogi is a seemingly endless expanse of pale, powdery sand - almost like the sugar Alagoas churns out in such vast quantities - warm, calm aquamarine waters and swaying palm trees. A place to indulge in doing precisely nothing while sipping on a beer - estupidamente gelada, of course - or a chilled young coconut. To fill one's stomach with fresh seafood - prawns, lobster, crab, ceviche - with the ocean lapping at your feet. To loll about in the shallow, crystalline waters while thinking of the rotten weather back home.

The word idyllic doesn't even come close.


Additional photos below
Photos: 35, Displayed: 23


Advertisement

Brazilian beach lunchBrazilian beach lunch
Brazilian beach lunch

Chilled beer (the little jackets are genuis), a chilled young coconut to drink, boiled crab with salt and lime. Heaven.


21st November 2012

Rotten weather back home...
I can see why you would rather stay on a tropical beach...beautiful pictures by the way. Looking forward to your next blog to help us dream as we enter winter...a lot of snow due here next week, but that is expected for Colorado. Anyway, keep on blogging!

Tot: 0.081s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 13; qc: 27; dbt: 0.037s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb