Road Trip through Brazil


Advertisement
Brazil's flag
South America » Brazil » Alagoas
January 1st 2008
Published: January 3rd 2008
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0

Our exploration of the coast



With all the videos, when you click on it, I think you have to copy and paste the link into a new browser.

After a little fiasco with rental cars, local Brazillian tag-alongs and being pulled over in a road block, Lars, KrisAnn, Erin and I took one of the rental cars and headed north. It surely was tough to say goodbye to that hotel guy 😊. He was so sweet to me. We exchanged email addresses, though I have no idea how that's going to go since we have no common language... Anyways. Driving north, we discovered the terribleness of our map. It was just a loose interpretation of the roads in Alagoas. Eventually we made our way into a sugar cane field trying to find a secluded beach, but ended up at a three-way fork and eveidently chose the wrong one. We went as far as our little 4 door rear-wheel drive would take us then threw in the towel and found another beach about another 20 minutes up the road. This led us to our secluded bungalo called Pasada Caju! Run by two retired Portuguese men, this escape was just what we needed. Quiet, hammocks, pool, beach and a boat tour out into the ocean, up a nearby river, then back out into the ocean for a fantastic snorkling session!

The water was amazing, but the surf might have been even more interesting. The reefs along the shore were about 3/4 of a mile out which created a stretch of beach that was submerged by only 2 inches of water, at low tide, that stretched all the way to the reefs. You could walk 3/4 of a mile and still be able to touch. Ishrael and the motor boat that took us out was able to get in at high tide when it was about a foot deep. Walking out into the ocean knee deep after 1/2 mile and watching the sunset over the palm trees was magical. Breathtaking. Thank you Ishrael!

There are three times as many stars out when there are three times as few human structures nearby. The nearest town was a sleepy fishing village to the south. There was a circus in town, but no one would go with me and there was no way I was venturing to something like that by myself. We knew they were in town because we could see the tent and there was a makeshift parade going through town when we drove through. This consisted of a couple of pick up trucks with men dressed up in silly shirts, with painted-on clown faces being chased by children down the side streets.

After some vegging, some alergic reactions to strange nuts for Erin and some incredible seafood, we departed Porto de Rua where this Pasada was and headed back to Macieo for flights back to Sau Paulo and last minute market shopping.


Additional photos below
Photos: 22, Displayed: 22


Advertisement

The boat that took us on tourThe boat that took us on tour
The boat that took us on tour

A shot from the water after a 20 minute snorkle fest.


Tot: 0.058s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 14; qc: 32; dbt: 0.0304s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb