Short and AMAZING, Bolivia


Advertisement
Bolivia's flag
South America » Bolivia
April 23rd 2011
Published: May 4th 2011
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0

Up to La Paz


TupizaTupizaTupiza

She´s so cute, isn´t she?
Salt flats, amazing culture and the most affordable place we´ve been! What´s not to love?

We crossed the border: La Quiaca, Villazon, Tupiza. There we found an amazing hotel/tour deal at Hotel Mitru. Lodging was super cheap (maybe $10 per night?) for a decent room with bathroom, delicious breakfast and a pool! Wow. Not only that, but the weather was beautiful. Gorgeous sunny days,...but chilly at night, due to the altitude.

It was hard to leave the cute little city of Tupiza, but after only a night´s stay we were off on a 4 day tour towards the salt flats. We piled in a land rover with three other tourists (Hi Adrian, Kaitlyn and Paco!) And let me say, it was amazing!!! We saw mountains, lakes, steaming volcanoes, flamingoes, geisers, lava formations, and the water covered salt flats. Not only that, but our cooks, drivers and guides were fantastic! We stayed in these little towns in houses made of a kind of muddy brick and we needed 3-4 thick wool blankets and a sleeping bag at night just to stay warm!!! At times, we were at over 15, 000 feet! Thanks to our altitude meds, we suffered no ill effects.

Finished the tour and headed to La Paz, a busy but more authentic feeling city. Women in authentic bolivian dress and a trip to the witches market served as fast reminders that we were no longer in Kansas. It may have even been Bolivia that was hardest to leave!


Additional photos below
Photos: 33, Displayed: 23


Advertisement

That little road?That little road?
That little road?

We were literally in the middle of nowhere at times on our tour. Amazing!
Laguna BlancoLaguna Blanco
Laguna Blanco

Literally toxic--filled with arsenic! I wonder who figured that out...and how...
Ah yes.  The coca leafAh yes.  The coca leaf
Ah yes. The coca leaf

In teas, brownies and chewed just about everywhere
The GeisersThe Geisers
The Geisers

Among the most amazing sights...
Our jeeps, by Laguna ColoradoOur jeeps, by Laguna Colorado
Our jeeps, by Laguna Colorado

Red, because red algae surfaces in the daylight hours
DaliDali
Dali

Lava formations eroded
Salt hotelSalt hotel
Salt hotel

EVERYTHING made of salt. Beds, walls, chairs....


Tot: 0.295s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 10; qc: 30; dbt: 0.0472s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb