San Pedro to Uyuni


Advertisement
Bolivia's flag
South America » Bolivia
July 27th 2008
Published: July 27th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Day 1.

On the first day of our 3 day jeep tour across the Bolivian Altiplano we departed San Pedro by bus at around 8am. We were stamped out of Chile and then into Bolivia a little while later. After Bolivian immigration we met up with Yvonne and Pat from Switzerland who we had met on the tour to the geysers. We also invited Shoko from Japan and Anthony from France to join our jeep. There were 3 jeeps in total from our company, the others travelling with us were American, Italian and French. Unfortunately for the Americans they had to pay $100 to enter Bolivia!

We visited some mud spurting geysers at an altitude of over 16,000ft, had a dip in some hotter hot springs than the last time and saw a pink laguna and hundreds of flamingoes. The laguna was apparently pink due to the bacteria found in it which is similar to botox.

After spaghetti for dinner Rich and I shared our new knowledge of the stars with our fellow travellers.


Day 2.

On day 2 we visited a frozen lake surrounded in grass that looks like troll´s hair. In the lunar landscape we saw cactii, more flmaingoes, vicuñas and llamas. The landscape was quite a sight for a Scot used to green hills and cloudy skies. Between sights we taught our international friends some Scottish words and phraes, such as, eh dinnae ken and glaikit. We also did our best to learn some Japanese from Shoko. I think it took us 3 whole days to master "my name is". We passed through a semi ghost town where the only inhabitants seemed to be children. We also bump started our jeep twice as the battery wasn´t charging properly. That night we stayed in a hotel constructed out of salt blocks from the salt flats. Even the tables, stools and beds were made from salt. I also enjoyed the coldest shower of my life there as the hot water ran out about 3 seconds into my shower. As I was already wet I thought I might as well continue.


Day 3.

Day 3 was my favourite day of the jeep tour and a highlight of the entire trip as we visited the Salars de Uyuni. The largest salt flats in the world. Apparently they cover an area greater than that
FlamingoesFlamingoesFlamingoes

You have to look hard to spot them
of Switzerland. The blinding white salt seems to go on forever in some places and you lose all sense of perspective. We stopped at Incahausi island before lunch. The entire island is covered in huge cactii and the top of the island provides an excellent viewpoint for the Salars. After lunch we spent the afternoon larking around taking photos. The lack of background objects makes for some fun pictures. On the way into Uyuni we visited the train cemetry, an eerie place full of rusting trains from 1950´s.

Unfortunately we were unable to get out of Uyuni the same day we arrived and we were lucky to get the last 5 beds in the local hostel (Anthony went off with the other French people). That night we ate llama steak by torchlight after the lights went out in the non touristy restaurant we found. Later we went for a beer with the Americans and Shoko impressed us with her miniscule origami flowers.


Additional photos below
Photos: 14, Displayed: 14


Advertisement

Salt hotelSalt hotel
Salt hotel

Notice the spiderman sheets!
IncahausiIncahausi
Incahausi

Shoko, Rich, Pat, Me and Yvonne
Blown awayBlown away
Blown away

Yvonne & Pat
Llama steakLlama steak
Llama steak

Before the lights went out


Tot: 0.112s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 8; qc: 43; dbt: 0.035s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb