The Community of Santa Rita Mennonite Colony


Advertisement
Bolivia's flag
South America » Bolivia » Santa Cruz Department » Santa Cruz
November 22nd 2012
Published: November 23rd 2012
Edit Blog Post

The children were singing when we arrived at the school. The style of singing was more like a chant than what we recognize as singing. Soon after we came, the school was dismissed for lunch. The boys came out first from one door, then the girls exited from another door.

The communities of Mennonites live in the farmland areas east of Santa Cruz. They arrived from Chihuahua Colonies in Mexico, Russia (Ukraine), Canada, Paraguay, and Belize. There are about 60,000 people living is 57 colonies. Each colony has its own ordnang (community life style agreement), and the Santa Rita Colony has some of the most restrictive rules with no electricity or cars, metal wheels on the tractors, no phones, and no team sports. Girls go to school until they’re twelve years old, and boys continue one more year, and after that they learn farming or the other occupations in the community.

The Friesen family we visited seemed to be happy, even joyful, with their way of life and quite satisfied to live without computers, phones, electricity, and other things we consider basic necessities.


Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement

The Mennonite Church Building - Santa Rita Mennonite ColonyThe Mennonite Church Building - Santa Rita Mennonite Colony
The Mennonite Church Building - Santa Rita Mennonite Colony

The church buildings are simple as the schools and homes are.


Tot: 0.131s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 9; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0864s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb