Urubamba to Puerto Guijarro


Advertisement
Published: November 16th 2015
Edit Blog Post

Urubamba to puno

We set off just before 8 and road with Jeff and Deane to the Salinas de Maras to check out the inca salt flats. We were pleased we went as they were pretty impressive. I played tour guide and read out information about the history and how they were formed which I'd previously screen shotted.

Travelling today it was interesting to note the extreme poverty. It seems a lot of the people spend their days sitting on the side of the road minding their stock. The women carry large loads of wood on their backs, presumably firewood. It certainly is a different world than the one we live in.

We then set off for Puno stopping a few times for photos, petrol and snacks. We arrived around 3.30 where we settled for the night.

On a personal note, I've had a lot of messages enquiring after the condition of my behind. You'll be pleased to know that's it's fine, thanks for caring!

Puno to La Paz, Bolivia

A fairly transit day aside from the border crossing. We drove from semi-reasonable roads to roads that were clay and full of pot holes. Our first and biggest problematic the border was the queue in immagration. They had 2 people processing a queue 100 metres long with allowances for people 60 years old to join a shorter queue.

Once we'd got into Bolivia it seemed to me to be a country with issues. We couldn't purchase petrol easily and when we did the price was double as it seems there is a tourist tax. Anyhow, it seems we can expect that while we are here so there's nothing we can do about it.

The trip to La Paz from the border was fairly quick. The terrain was flat and arid then mountainous and rocky. The people don't have much and live in terracotta coloured huts usually with a dog or two. It's funny seeing all the eucalyptus trees here, we were told by our guide back in Machu Picchu that they were introduced by Australia and they've since become a problem with their prolific self propagation.

La Paz to Cochabamba

Lots more awesome scenery today along with some temperature changes caused by weather and altitude.

We arrived in Cochabamba around 3pm and Rosco's friend Cory invited us to his home for a BBQ. We taxied there so we could enjoy a few drinks along with good food and company.

Cory has a lovely home and has lived there with his wife and kids for some time. He owns and runs Bolivia Bound bike tours.

Trev had earlier filled our water bottles from the filter in reception of our hotel which seemed a reasonable idea at the time. Around 2am I awoke with a rather suspicious feeling stomach and spent a lot of the following hours in the toilet. Needless to say the following days ride was pretty tough!


Cochabamba to Santa Cruz

We started off ok, managing to eat breakfast no problem. Once we hit the (very bumpy) road in the heat I started to deteriorate and by the time we reached Santa Cruz I felt it was all I could do to stay upright.

It was great that Gerardo had organised a suite for us on this night, it made things a lot more pleasant.

Santa Cruz to Puerto Guijarro

A long hot day of riding which was very green with plenty of farming. The mercury reached 42 at times today and we consumed a lot of water. I'm feeling better today but the appetite still isn't there.

We stayed the night next to the Brazilian border ready for the crossing tomorrow.












Additional photos below
Photos: 26, Displayed: 24


Advertisement

Parade time Parade time
Parade time

Children dressed up for what seemed to be a celebration
Grave site near the roadside Grave site near the roadside
Grave site near the roadside

Very colourful compared to ours


Tot: 0.084s; Tpl: 0.018s; cc: 11; qc: 30; dbt: 0.0442s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb