We're not in Kansas anymore, Toto.


Advertisement
Published: June 16th 2017
Edit Blog Post

Protesters Block TrafficProtesters Block TrafficProtesters Block Traffic

Just outside of Tilcara we ran into another bunch of protesters. These are the people, we're told, who would rather march than work. They want the government to give them free housing as well as to complete the school that's under construction.
Geo: -22.0801, -65.5887

In a spur of the moment decision we added another day to our trip north and headed for Bolivia. Do you know you can walk right into the country? Right past the checkpoints like you owned the place?

But first we had to get there.

The highway follows the Humahuaca gorge north through some pretty bizarre country (see photos). It's a geologist's dream. It changes from one ridge to the next. I couldn't believe how varied it was. It looks like Arizona in some places, like eastern Montana in others, southern Utah in others and in some--like nothing any of us had ever seen before. Looking at photos is like having only a grain of it--it's too vast--too odd--too different to put in photos or words. Sorry, I tried.

When we were all sitting at dinner the night before in Purmamarca and I said, you know, I haven't given up the thought of going into Bolivia, I had no idea everyone would be so excited about it. Let's do eet, Angie says. And Bill and Inga were just as ready as we were. What great traveling companions--to just like that change your plans and take off in another direction.

We had such
We just want to have funWe just want to have funWe just want to have fun

In Argentina, you have the right to block traffic at any time. These girls are having a holiday from school--happy day.
a good time with Bill and Inga. And Angie is a great guide, the kind you always measure other guides by--we'll never find another one as good, I'm afraid. She speaks great English, is very knowledgeable and wonderfully passionate about her part of the country. But more than that, she's hilarious, and she tailored the trip to our interests, stopping whenever we said stop! and showing us things she knew we'd love.

We didn't love running into protesters again. Two hours we waited! Cars, buses, trucks--all detained in a line that ran for miles while these guys chatted and laughed and passed the time until 2:00 when they dispersed and we could move again.

Inga and I got out of the car and walked up for some pictures, then went through the line to a gas station where we could use the toilet and buy some snacks. Irritating.

When we got to La Quiaca, last stop in Argentina, we saw a steady stream of mostly women carrying impossible loads into the bus station. I just gasped when I saw the bags on their backs and the looks on their faces, but the story is that Argentinean businesses avoid paying taxes by having
Socialist headquarters at TilcaraSocialist headquarters at TilcaraSocialist headquarters at Tilcara

It's at this point on the highway where these marches occur most often. Protesters can't be moved--they break up when they want to and even though it's technically against the law, police don't bother them because they scream human rights if they do. It's a real problem in Argentina.
these runners bring their goods across illegally.

But even sadder is the dirty business some Bolivian businessmen practice. Bolivians are very hard workers. Say a Bolivian has a t-shirt shop in Buenos Aires. He needs cheap labor so he recruits whatever countrymen he can to come across the border illegally --promising them a job so they can send money home. But he works these guys 20 hours a day giving them only 3 or 4 hours sleep a night.

The thing is, if these poor uneducated folks knew it, they could enter Argentina legally by just walking across the border and picking up the proper papers. Argentina is easy. But evidently there's enough people who don't know that, that this is a profitable venture for the unscrupulous. And the worse part is that one condition of giving these poor schmucks a job is that they have to sign away their land in Bolivia.

We were warned repeatedly--by Angie--don't run. Don't even walk fast. Slowly, slowly. You see, we're at over 12,000 feet altitude and any exertion is felt in the heart and lungs. We found it is a totally different thing to drive over a pass at 12,000 feet and to
Bolivian girl brings baby to workBolivian girl brings baby to workBolivian girl brings baby to work

Market stalls in Humahuaca.
actually LIVE there.

Our hotel put us up three flights and we were all winded climbing those stairs. My heart was RACING by the time we got to our room.

We were so funny. It was like we were kids away at camp, checking out each other's digs and laughing like crazy about our $18 rooms.

You have a window? No fair--we don' have a window! Well you had a window LAST night.

Our dinner was chicken, fried potatoes and rice. Period. No choices. Angie chose that restaurant because it was cleaner than the others and it wasn't horrible.

They had no bottled water either, but they did have beer, so Bill was happy.

To fight the altitude Angie gave us each an Ibuprofen formulated especially for high altitude and instructions to take it if we started getting a headache. Evidently you get headaches from lack of oxygen to the brain. Everybody but Bob had to take the pill, but he was fine through it all.

Bill says going into Bolivia was the best part of his whole trip so far. It's another world, a stark difference in the matter of a few feet. But not like going into Mexico. Bolivia is calm, not frantic
Humahuaca Humahuaca Humahuaca

A beautiful little Spanish colonial city, Humahuaca sits at the northern end of the Quebrada de Humahuaca , the Humahuaca Gorge. We stopped here for a bag of cheese empanadas to eat on the way.
like our border towns.

It's. just. so. different.






Additional photos below
Photos: 34, Displayed: 25


Advertisement

Llamas and shepherdLlamas and shepherd
Llamas and shepherd

The wide valley of the Quebrada de Humahuaca supports an awful lot of llamas, goats and wild donkeys.
LlamasLlamas
Llamas

Llamas are sheared once a year in December. These guys will spit at you if you get too close--just like their cousins the camels. Angie says they give you lots of warning though--their ears lay back against their heads and they start gathering stuff in their mouths to hurl your way. It's disgustingly foul, I'm told.
Cone shaped hill with swirly mountainsCone shaped hill with swirly mountains
Cone shaped hill with swirly mountains

This is a land of weird formations. How does this happen?
Scalloped mountainsScalloped mountains
Scalloped mountains

The carefully defined hills don't really have a name--they're just called formations. The green striped part is green rock with grasses and shrubby bushes growing in the grooves.
The formations of Tres CrucesThe formations of Tres Cruces
The formations of Tres Cruces

Tres Cruces is just a checkpoint on the road and these formations are just before you get there. This is geologist heaven.
We've traveled the entire lengthWe've traveled the entire length
We've traveled the entire length

It's 5,121 km or 3,182 miles from the Bolivian border to the southern most city in the world, Ushuaia, and we've traveled it all. Our travel agent tells people Lemcke's know more about Argentina than she does. Well we don't, but we've traveled more of it than she has--more than most Argentineans have.
Bus station at La Quiaca Bus station at La Quiaca
Bus station at La Quiaca

On the Bolivian border, this sad station is busy with carriers of contraband. Argentinean businesses want Bolivian goods but don't want to pay taxes, so they hire Bolivians to run them across the border to this bus station in Argentina, where they're shipped wherever.
Running contraband into ArgentinaRunning contraband into Argentina
Running contraband into Argentina

These are extremely heavy loads. You can see these boys are exhausted from their running.
A steady stream of Bolivian runnersA steady stream of Bolivian runners
A steady stream of Bolivian runners

They carry these loads through the river and into Argentina on the run.
Tough DayTough Day
Tough Day

Looking like she could collapse at any moment, this woman carefully makes her way to the station.


6th March 2010

Awesome place. Love the pix and commentary.
6th March 2010

Where do you plan on going next year???????????????
6th March 2010

I don't know. Where do you want to go? ;)
6th March 2010

Thanks Jerry, glad you're enjoying it. You really need to see this place to believe it. And it isn't advertised like the rest of the country either, so it isn't overrun.
6th March 2010

That spot in Bolivia looks so amazing. I remember photos like that as a kid in textbooks, and they always amazed me.
7th March 2010

Yea, cool, huh?
7th March 2010

Yea, cool, huh?
7th March 2010

Paul, we have this great idea. Next year you come with us! You meet us somewhere for a week or two (!), we stay in hostels, eat once a day--it'll be just like college again.
8th March 2010

I'll actually consider that suggestion.
8th March 2010

Your dad says he kinda thought you might. You think you're up to it? You might have to go para-gliding or sky diving or something. And you'll definitely get to get lost.
9th March 2010

Do you get permission to take all of these peoples photos? Are they happy to pose for you?
9th March 2010

Oh yes, they were extremely happy to pose for me...can't you tell?
9th March 2010

Sorry, I was being a bit snide. None of these pictures are posed. They're all pure photo journalism--very difficult. Angie was a great help though. They speak Spanish, but differently--like English is different in Jamaica than in Montana. W
ell, Angie had studied those differences and could imitate them, so they though she was Bolivian, too. I got a lot more done with her than I ever could have alone.

Tot: 0.063s; Tpl: 0.017s; cc: 12; qc: 29; dbt: 0.0303s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb