We have crossed the border!


Advertisement
Bolivia's flag
South America » Bolivia » Potosí Department » Villazón
September 18th 2006
Published: September 18th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Church at nightChurch at nightChurch at night

In Salta. Holy week, full of devoute catholics. Not that we have anything against catholics!
Hi everybody,

Today we crossed the boarder from Argentina into Bolivia. Unfortunately we have been hampered this time by unreliable Bolivian transport and our planned train is not running. The most we could establish at the station was "No trains, no trains"! So guess that means there are no trains then! So guess what, yes, bus it is again! Only an 18 hour journey this time though. But it has meant that we have had to spend a day in Villazon the boarder town, not a place to visit unless you have too! But we will be out of here at 6.30pm - looking forward to the bumpy i.e. none existent roads up to La Paz, all part of the experience I´m sure!

But as we have all this time to kill we thought we would try and get a couple more photos on the blog. But don´t hold your breath this computer is very slow so if we are lucky that may be just one photo!

Since our last entry we have explored the northwest of Argentina, including Cafayate, Catchi, Purmamarca, Humahuaca, La Quica and now Villizon.

Cafayate was fantastic, both Rich and I fell in love with the place and ending up extending our stay for an extra night. Which in the end was most useful as Rich got horrific food posioning from, well it was either the tongue, the larma or the undescribed bird "Vaca" or possibly the extremely pink and uncooked peice of pork he had for dinner! Wisely i avoided all those things and managed (unlike Rich) to keep both ends from exploding all night long!

Anyway, after Cafayate, we made a mamouth journey north to a town called Catchi which was all of 170km and it only took us 5 and 1/2 hours! Travelling on the famous green roads, the second best type of road in Argentina, route 40 which consists of no paving whatsoever, numerous fallen rocks littering your path and many dangerous and unnerving sharp corners. If you are ever in Argentina, avoid the yellow roads, they are the worst apparently! Also make sure you hire a 4x4 (yes sorry Will) but you need one, the four door Golf did struggle a wee bit!

That is enough for now - according to Rich who yes, guess what wants me to stop writing again! Apparently its going to take us three hours to put some photos on. He may not be wrong there! Now he´s changed his mind and wants me to right more - which is it Rich, make your mind up!

Yes okay, more story. After getting back to Salta we headed further north taking in Pumamarca which is famous for its mountain of seven different colours, best seen in the morning. So we duly got a bus, which didn´t arrive until midnight. Without having booked anyway to stay and by the skin of our teeth, luckily bumped into an English guy who told us he had two spare beds in his dorm, as we were getting no answer at the door to the hostel. Rich was all for sleeping on the street, not my favoured plan, it also gets freezing cold at this altitude. We also have no sleeping bags! But it all worked out okay. From there, it was all bus journeys to get us to the boarder and here we are so now its time for photos.

love to you all, Rich and Rachxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

P.S. we are really missing eating eggs!




Additional photos below
Photos: 13, Displayed: 13


Advertisement

Hotel KillaHotel Killa
Hotel Killa

"Killa" means the moon. Just happened to pass this hotel in Cafayate and just had to stay, it looked fantastic. Bed so big you could sleep on it sideways!
Hotel KillaHotel Killa
Hotel Killa

Room so big it had an entrance hall!
Rich drinking Quilmes in Quilmes!Rich drinking Quilmes in Quilmes!
Rich drinking Quilmes in Quilmes!

Ancient Inca ruin on the side of a mountain, south of Cafayate
Lamas Lamas
Lamas

Just before Rach ran away as they started to chase her!
On way to CachiOn way to Cachi
On way to Cachi

Tiny little settlements, very Romanesque in style!
Road to god knows where!Road to god knows where!
Road to god knows where!

On route to cachi.


18th September 2006

Wishing I was there.....
Fantastic photos Rach, another swanky hotel hey!!! Keep Smiling Lyndsay.
19th September 2006

wow
wow, wow,wow. all looks amazing. Hope your calf is ok Rich. Keep them photos coming. great writing Rach, just ignore Rich and keep us up to date xxx
21st September 2006

niiiiice
Hi gang, the pics are amazing...keep them coming whether it takes 3 hours or 3 days!! Loving the hotel...that's the way things should be done...in style. Rach, stop hogging the keyboard, I'm sure Rich would love to drop a line if he could... Safe journey and hope to hear from you soon. paolo.
22nd September 2006

Hogging the keyboard!!
Hay Paulo, honestly if it wasn´t for me you guys wouldn´t hear nothing from Rich at all! I have managed to get him to comment once and he only wrote a sentence! I will try again, but its not due to him not being able to on the keyboard it just his reluctance and basic laziness! Rachx
24th September 2006

Great photos
Rach it all looks brilliant, it is good to see it is all working well. Looks like you have superb weather for it.
28th September 2006

Hello
These photos are v.cool. Glad all is working out. Take care. Kate and I are with Dan and Rach in Nuremburg, Germany, trying to get van fixed up a bit (nothing terminal) - will probably head to Czech rep next. See yous laters. Loads of love Will
28th September 2006

Amazing photos
Hi guys, that looks amazing - the photos are really cool! Finally found an internet cafe in Nuremberg but Will is being tempted by the smell of bratwurst outside in the market so will have to email later, have a great time, K xxx
19th March 2007

Well, I see this is old, but who cares =P
I dunno where you are guys from, but I'm from Argentina, and it's cool to see that people come and enjoy our country, many ppl think it isn't that beautiful, but that is cuz they haven't visited it. I hope you have good memories about it ^^ (The undescribed bird "Vaca") By the way, "Vaca" = "Cow", not a bird :P

Tot: 0.114s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 14; qc: 66; dbt: 0.0694s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb