BOLIVIA: Following the Dakar Rally Part 1...Ain't no tourists where we're going


Advertisement
South America » Bolivia » Potosí Department » Uyuni
April 17th 2016
Published: April 17th 2016
Edit Blog Post

BOLIVIA: Following the Dakar Rally Part 1...Into the Unknown. We get dropped in this dust blown town called Uyuni...the hotel didn't even expect us. What's gone wrong? Our private tour of Bolivia has been beyond expectations so far. But the following morning we get the shock of our lives. Now it's my turn to say "Thank you, thank you, thank you." 'Cause we're following the Dakar Rally...the Worl... Read Full Entry



Photos are below
Photos: 93, Displayed: 21


Advertisement

























17th April 2016

Sounds like an adventure!
Interesting that they moved the race to a S. America and still called it Dakar! This seems like quite an experience venturing out to places where you don't see any tourists for days! And the landscape is inviting to boot.
17th April 2016

Sounds like an adventure!
When Valerio followed one set of tyre tracks then turned back to follow another with no road in cooee we knew this was no usual meander, Hem. And the landscapes were out of this World. Kinda understood why the Dakar included Bolivia in their annual ultra endurance sojourn.
17th April 2016

A vivid salty story of Dakar
Panoramic pics: I loved them...touch of class! Story: Certainly makes me want to visit. Bolivia is in my bucket list anyway. I like the descriptions "tan dirt plain that was flatter than flat", "the silence giving no hint of what was to come." As always, well researched piece with enough stats...really reflects your ability to bring history of a place so vividly that blows my mind. Another jewel in the crown, Dave. Enjoyed reading!
17th April 2016

A vivid salty story of Dakar
Thanks Tab. Bolivia was supposed to be an after dinner drink to close a sensational trip through the Americas. Knew it would be good...but 'twas a highlight that will live with us forever. Got some pics coming up that will raise the dead!!!
17th April 2016

A beautiful contrast
I loved the contrast of a white wedding dress against a rusty landscape.
17th April 2016

A beautiful contrast
Most TBers seem to do Bolivia when the salt flats are dry...stunning vista that drew us to go there. But when it's flooded it is out of this World...the contrasts of mud and water in arid landscapes...mirror lakes...coral reefs in the sky...and no tourists. Magic! (I suggest the white wedding dress against a rusty landscape pic is not this one!)
18th April 2016

A beuatiful contrast
You are right, Dave, I meant the lovely contrast of this photograph, because I rated this one. Don't know what happened earlier.
18th April 2016

Dont you love places without tourists?
My favourite type of place. Learn something new every day thanks for the great run down on the history and now of the Dakar :)
18th April 2016

Dont you love places without tourists?
There's something about a beach to yourself Cindy, walking or riding a trail alone through spectacular country, a view to die for or an iconic site that at any other time would be crawling or speckled with people...the silence and ambience of being just you or sharing just with friends or loved ones. Ahhhh...it's the serenity!
19th April 2016

Beautiful!
What a fabulous place Bolivia is. Your photos are very beautiful.
19th April 2016

Beautiful!
I see you have also been to Bolivia Emma...different time and space. Hope therefore that my photos can transport you back to the ethereal landscapes of that beautiful place.
23rd April 2016

So cool
I have heard of this place. I would love to see this train cemetery myself. And of course I'd love to see Salar de Uyuni. /Ake
24th April 2016

So cool
The train cemetery is probably your sort of place Ake. So many picture opportunities and there are heaps for everyone! The Salar is out of this World...truly.
24th April 2016

Karoomba.....off season!
Thanks for the history of the race. Always good having the back story. Spectacular country and you are great at those back roads. Just your kind of trip. Perfection. As always outstanding photography.
24th April 2016

Karoomba.....off season!
Off season Bolivia...off the beaten track...no better time...no better place...no better memories. Thanks for joining the ride. Just for you a hint...it gets better and better!
8th May 2016

Love the photos
The landscapes are beautiful, like art on a canvas, but so perfect you can't believe somewhere so beautiful exists.
8th May 2016

Love the photos
Thanks for commenting Anita. The landscapes, colours and textures of Bolivia are spectacular and being high altitude the light is often ethereal. Glad the pics appeal to your artistic bent. Bolivia to me is an artist's palette!

Tot: 0.046s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 16; qc: 28; dbt: 0.0203s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb