Day 22 - Jeep tour day 1


Advertisement
Bolivia's flag
South America » Bolivia » Potosí Department » Tupiza
February 16th 2009
Published: February 21st 2009
Edit Blog Post

[youtube=bMg8D3ArWv8]Over breakfast we meet everyone joining us on our 4 day La Torre Jeep tour of southern Bolivia we are all mostly from England or Ireland. We load our bags onto the roof of our Jeeps (Toyota Land Cruisers) before climbing in and setting off in convoy with 2 other Jeeps.

We share our Jeep with Emma and Eoghan from Ireland who were great company. Our driver was called Alberto and our cook was called Sylvia they did not speak much English so this was going to be interesting!

As we drive out of Tupiza we see the surrounding red desert with impressive rock formations. After climbing out of town we see amazing views of the the valley below us and stop to take more pictures. We stop for lunch in the middle of nowhere surrounded by llamas and Sylvia prepares our lunch.

The journey was amazing we saw many changes in the landscape and the Jeep coped well on the unmade roads. We arrived at our accommodation for the first night, a tiny hamlet at around 4000 metres on the altiplano. We were told the accommodation was going to be basic and they were right. We shared a room with Emma and Eoghan as it had 5 beds and a small table for us to eat and play cards.

It soon got cold as the sun went down, apparently it can get to minus 18 here in winter, glad we went in the summer! We had a lovely meal as Sylvia is a great cook and managed to cook well on her small gas stove. The lights went out at around 9pm as they were solar powered so it gave us an opportunity to see the amazing sight of the milky way above us without any light pollution.

After getting ready for bed in candlelight we snuggle into our beds with both of us feeling glad we have brought sleeping bags.


Additional photos below
Photos: 16, Displayed: 16


Advertisement



22nd February 2009

Ostrich?
Watched the video - sounds like Oli's tummy is still a bit unsettled?!
24th February 2009

Those canyons look awesome!! How fantastic for you both! I really cant believe how much you have seen already-what a great experience! Lots of love to you both.xx

Tot: 0.089s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 10; qc: 30; dbt: 0.0562s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb