On the road! Argentina to Bolivia


Advertisement
Bolivia's flag
South America » Bolivia » Potosí Department » Tupiza
August 6th 2008
Published: August 7th 2008
Edit Blog Post

After finally tearing ourselves away from Buenos Aires we got back on the road again, managing to cram all our belongings into two bags each (not bad considering the number of football shirts Ryan bought!).
First stop was Iguazu Falls, on the border with Brazil and Paraguay, which was absolutely beautiful: stunning waterfalls coming out of the jungle, pretty much what we imagined when we wanted to come here travelling. We took a day trip into Brazil to see the falls from the brazilian side, and stopped off in Paraguay at the dodgiest cheap electronics town ever, Ciudad del Este.
We then spent 24 hours on a bus travelling across the north of Argentina to Salta. Salta has some lovely architecture, and some pretty nice scenery too. The campsite we stayed in had the biggest swimming pool we have ever seen, but was unfortunately empty! There were lots of parillas though so Ryan got to practise his barbeque skills, and we made the most of the Argentinian malbec before we had to leave the country.
From Salta we headed to the Argentine, Bolivian border where we had our first experience with high altitude: extreme cold and bad headaches. When we arrived at La Quiaca the border town, the inside of the bus windows were iced up: a bit of a change from Salta where we had been sunbathing!
Our first stop in Bolivia was Tupiza, a little town surrounded by purple, orange and grey mountains. We hired some horses and set off round some canyons for a few hours, it felt like we were in the middle of the wild west, all we needed were some hats and spurs!
Bolivia feels very different from Argentina: a lot less westernised. The women here wear traditional dress of long plaits and bowler hats, and we definitely stick out as gringoes! Although we miss the Argentinian steak, the food here is generally spicier which is a welcome change. Bus rides are long and dusty although usually with spectacular views, and there are normally some chickens running about the bus as well.
Next stop Salar de uyuni...


Additional photos below
Photos: 12, Displayed: 12


Advertisement

Our new home!Our new home!
Our new home!

If only that pool had water...


17th August 2008

salta
jesus tingy 24hrs on a bus?? :) pinto told me about ur new career commentating on boca juniors matches so had to check it out. looks like ur havin a blast lad!!! dc

Tot: 0.084s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 11; qc: 50; dbt: 0.051s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb