Bolivia by Jeep - Day 2


Advertisement
Bolivia's flag
South America » Bolivia » Potosí Department » Tupiza
February 26th 2007
Published: March 12th 2007
Edit Blog Post

San Antonio de Lipez to Laguna Colorada



also known as a VERY, VERY long day in a Jeep

We started the day early...wake up call at about 6am. Most everyone was feeling pretty rough as the altitude affected the ability to sleep. A lil' Nescafé mixed with "Chocolike" (this creation dubbed the Bolivian Mocha) and some bread with jam and we were on our way. We drove past ruins, volcanoes, wee villages, a small salt flat, hot springs, deserts with bizarre rock formations and geysers. We listened to Bolivian music, we listened to Guns 'n Roses, we took photos....LOTS of photos. I'll let them tell the story here.


Additional photos below
Photos: 18, Displayed: 18


Advertisement

50 year old church ruins.50 year old church ruins.
50 year old church ruins.

The fact that concrete was used 50 years ago means that the building was of high importance, as most buildings of today do not have the concrete skin.
Example of typical house construction.Example of typical house construction.
Example of typical house construction.

It has been changed very little over the last 500 years. All houses are very similar to this in the remote Bolivian highlands.
A Laguna along the wayA Laguna along the way
A Laguna along the way

...those are flamingos in the water!
The bricks for constructionThe bricks for construction
The bricks for construction

The bricks are made from the soil right in the same spot. You see holes all around and know that is where the bricks were made. There were stacks of bricks everywhere drying and waiting to be used for construction.
Laguna VerdeLaguna Verde
Laguna Verde

This was one bummer of the trip, as the weather didn't cooperate for us to see the normally very green lake with the towering Volcan Licancabur (5950 meters) above. Oh well...
Geisers Sol de MañanaGeisers Sol de Mañana
Geisers Sol de Mañana

That's our new friend, Sarah, from Vancouver Island.


Tot: 0.115s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 9; qc: 71; dbt: 0.0638s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb