Tupiza & Salar de Uyuni


Advertisement
Published: November 6th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Do you know the Western movie with Butch Cassidy & the Sundance Kid (1969 I think)? The script was based on a real story of the pair and how they spent their last days in Bolivia, more specifically... in Tupiza!


We have decided to do the Salar de Uyuni tour from Tupiza as its a nice place to stay for a few days before the trip to Uyuni and also to save the best for last...(Salar de Uyuni-Salt Flats)


The town itself very nice & again the people very welcoming, (picture a few cowboys riding through the town and you would be spot on) there´s a relaxed atmosphere here. Not a whole lot going on with relation to night life or good restaurants but lots of interesting colonial buildings and churches & you can climb the hill to the plateau with the big white cross. This site is called El corazón de Jesus (the Heart of Jesus). It´s a perfect viewpoint, from where you can see the whole town with the typical coloured mountains in the background....think I´ll get a taxi up there later!...Altitude and stuff!!


In the mean time myself Marie-Therese & Anne took a 5 hour horse ride in the desert...it was like stepping into Butch Cassidy & The Sun Dance Kid movie... (The wild wild West...wow!!) the views were just spectacular and the heat was too...it was so cool though galloping around the desert through Canyons & mountains on a horse that thought he was running the Grand National...I nearly came off a few times while he was in sprint mode as my foot slipped from the stirrup (think it was more to do with the fact I had 2 different stirrup's)...



LINK HERE
Click here for pictures of the Wild Wild West in Tupiza...Click on Slide show and then fast




Saturday we took a 4 day tour to the Salar de Uyuni USD100 with 3 others from the UK, 9am pick up from our hotel...7 hours by jeep the first day...a fume filled one at that...things weren´t looking good at this point and then it broke down...the first day there wasn´t much to see in the way of lagoons etc but the views were still incredible,

so it was all driving day 1 on rocky bumpy desert road....soooo frustrating



1- Because of the strong petrol fumes

2- Because I didn't realise how much bumpy
Salar de UyuniSalar de UyuniSalar de Uyuni

Me Anne&Marie-Therese thruçough the desert to Uyuni salar plains...
driving there was..I kind of went along with out asking the tour operator what exactly the trip entailed.....(1200KM of driving!!!) Aaahhh......rocky desert) Silently Freaking out in the jeep!



Day 2 were hot springs, lagoons of green & pink in colour, flamingos, mountains...



Day 3 was the same....amazing views to which I must have taken 200 pictures, Geezers, rocks in the middle of the desert just like one of Salvador Dhali´s paintings...It must have been the inspiration for his paintings although apparently he was never there...who knows.



I was quietly thinking that the Salar de Uyuni better be worth all this driving and so the night before we stayed in this hotel-Hostel, the beds were made of salt and the ground was covered in salt..pretty cool stuff..

Day 4 4.30am rise to see the sunrise on the salt plains...OMG!!!! it was everything and more than what I expected.....the pictures speak for themselves...


LINK HERE

Click on this link for Salar de Uyuni.....wow!

7.8 bolivianos to 1 USD

Heading for Salta Argentina next....


Additional photos below
Photos: 32, Displayed: 24


Advertisement

Salar de UyuniSalar de Uyuni
Salar de Uyuni

Salvador Dhali Painting!!
SDUSDU
SDU

Dusk
SDUSDU
SDU

Dusk
SDUSDU
SDU

sunrise
SDUSDU
SDU

sunrise
SDUSDU
SDU

sunrise
SDUSDU
SDU

sunrise
SDUSDU
SDU

Shadows
SDUSDU
SDU

IM TAKIN' DA PICTURE!!!


6th November 2006

horses ass!
wow, you guys are so brave getting on a horse! i have never sat up on one. photos are wonderful. thats gonna be some album when for the future. you'll have to do a big feature for the Irish Examiner! keep on truckin!
8th November 2006

Fantastic
Fantastic photos B. Really the trip of a lifetime. You rock!
8th November 2006

Cumpleanos Feliz
Happy belated Birthday B xx

Tot: 0.081s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 8; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0389s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb