BOLIVIA: Walking on water...Sunset over the Salar


Advertisement
Published: May 8th 2016
Edit Blog Post

Following the Dakar Rally Part 3: Walking on water...Sunset over the Salar. In the legend Volcan Thunupa began to cry white milky tears that flooded the plain and formed the Uyuni salt flats when they dried. That was eons ago. Thunupa was laughing as we awoke at 7 a.m...laughing so hard its tears were falling as rain...lightning flashing around us...our ascent of Thunupa looking particularly bl... Read Full Entry



Photos are below
Photos: 83, Displayed: 21


Advertisement




8th May 2016
Sunset over the Salar

Quite a sunset!
You were treated to some magical display of mother nature and you had the views all to yourselves. Should have been some experience, this trip to Salar.
8th May 2016
Sunset over the Salar

Quite a sunset!
Being about 100 metres into the Salar with four sunsets exploding around us Mother Nature certainly treated us to a magical display. The pic you highlight was to the East where the colours were changing constantly. Maybe light bouncing off the Salar onto clouds. You would have loved it Hem!
8th May 2016

Walking on water
I tried walking on water once. It doesn't work, however saline it might be! What an adventure you're having! Fortune favours the brave. Keep on trucking' David
8th May 2016

Walking on water
I leave walking on water to the ladies David. I was too busy gawking at Nature's wonders to pull my trousers up!
8th May 2016
Sunset over the Salar

Amazing photos!
I agree, your 18mm would have done more havoc than what you already have done. Excellent photos...voted many of them! Isn't salt eat the vehicles? That's one of our problem in the winter here. Looking forward more to come.
8th May 2016
Sunset over the Salar

Amazing photos!
You have a good eye Tab. Some of the darker photos when enlarged are spectacular. This one was to the East. Denise's iphone shots usually falter in low light but that her's were so spectacular indicates how much light was reflected off the mirror surface of the flooded Salar. Salt affects vehicles on the coast in Sydney carried by onshore breezes. Vehicles that enter the Salar in Bolivia one can only imagine is a recipe for a short life!
8th May 2016

Beautiful
It looks so beautiful and I'm sure the photos don't make it justice so it must have been amazing in real life!
8th May 2016

Beautiful
Thank you for commenting denidax. Impossible to capture four simultaneous sunsets over 200 degrees even with panorama settings. However, the panoramas capture the intensity which was fun. The best pics must remain in our heads...c'est la vie!
8th May 2016

Amazing photos!
Wow, what a truly magical place! The photos are amazing, even the iPhone ones! I'd love to visit this place.
8th May 2016

Amazing photos!
You would love this place Alan. It's only next door to Peru where you are heading so where there is a will there is a way I say! Gotta be tempting!!!
8th May 2016

Absolutely beautiful pictures...
you've built a reputation as a portrait artist and now you've achieved perfection with sunsets. Of course, the subject matter helped!
9th May 2016

Absolutely beautiful pictures...
I am delighted you can appreciate the stunning beauty of the sunsets over the Salar, Bob...you who has been everywhere! I can only wonder what my camera could have achieved if my lens was not kaput. Denise's little camera and her iphone saved the day on this occasion!
9th May 2016

In a word....stunning
Great photos! Truly a unique experience captured with less than optimal equipment....but I would never know that without your admission. Really spectacular! .....Dangerous Dave
9th May 2016

In a word....stunning
Now you may be understanding why I am so excited about Bolivia, Dangerous One. Dancing meets Dangerous...or what!!!
9th May 2016

As dusk fell my monopod became my friend and lover... hey!
I mean I was there in person - but those photos - oh my goodness...spectacular!!!! It's interesting, Bolivia was tacked on to the end of a long holiday & I have to say she stole the show.
9th May 2016

As dusk fell my monopod became my friend and lover... hey!
You often wait while I fiddle for that perfect shot my love. But when I commandeer your camera and you only have your iphone..."no matter" you say. Then you pull off such stunning pics I'm getting used to others saying "Denise is taking on David...and..."!!!
9th May 2016
Sunset over the Salar

Just...
...wow!
9th May 2016
Sunset over the Salar

Just... ...wow!
Thanks Richard. Says it all. Lost count of how often we said it at the time.
11th May 2016

Stunning
Words can't describe how beautiful the pictures of the sunsets are....what a man, what a camera and thanks to the monopod for helping!
11th May 2016

Stunning
Thanks Jo. I've seen zillions of amazing sunsets in my time. But it comes down to time and place...the sun and the planets aligned that evening in Bolivia for these ones. Never saw anything like it again. Yep...time and place...and being at the right angles for the sun's reflections I guess.
14th May 2016
Denise's iphone 18

Fabulous photos
You have a great collection of photos in this blog entry. I completely understand you when you say you were in photography heaven. The pics says it all. In places like that I have to tell myself to put away the camera every now and then and just relax and enjoy. In my strive to get the perfect photo I can otherwise forget that. /Ake
14th May 2016
Denise's iphone 18

Fabulous photos
Glad you checked them out Ake. I do not expect another explosion of sunsets in my life as that evening over the Salar. I agree with the concept of sitting back and enjoying the music but sometimes capturing the memory if it is inviting you to do so is hard to resist. Strive versus regret...you choose! Great choice of photo by the way...that one a late evening to the west.
3rd June 2016

Stunning
Wow - talk about a sunset! What an amazing trip you had, in a truly incredible landscape. Loving the photos!
3rd June 2016

Stunning
I'll never forget that sunset Rachael. What a privilege to have been there to see it...what a surprise to later discover it was a curtain opening for what was to come!
5th May 2017
Sunset over the Salar

Beautiful picture
What an incredibly beautiful picture!
5th May 2017
Sunset over the Salar

Beautiful picture
Thanks Katha. When every turn was a beautiful picture that evening it is great to hear what appeals to others. Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

Tot: 0.104s; Tpl: 0.02s; cc: 16; qc: 42; dbt: 0.0634s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb