Day 39 - Farewell Taryn (for now)


Advertisement
Published: May 18th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Waking up after a great night's sleep we headed down to a delicious breakfast of cereal, fresh bread, jam, ham, cheese (potentially llama!) and cake. Definitely glad we had booked for this hotel as there weren't many with recommendations in Uyuni. Soph and I decided to take the day to chill out, explore and catch up on our blog. This also provided Sophie a little opportunity to check out the local shops and stalls.

Taryn was leaving us today, though we planned to meet up again in Puno to do Lake Titicaca together and arranged a hostel to meet in two weeks' time. We headed off to lunch and settled on 16 de Julio on the plaza where all three of us opted for an almuerzo - a set menu of small tortilla, huge soup, meaty pasta dish and dessert for just 3 pounds. What value, might be eating one of these again!

Soph and I checked out the trains as potential transport to Tupiza, our intended next stop. Unfortunately they only ran twice a week, the next being 4 days away. We decided to check buses out instead, and on taking Taryn to her night bus for La Paz saw some of the other vehicles and companies to find appropriate transport for the next day. There was a definite range, from already falling apart to relative luxury. The bus station (not that it can really be called that, just stalls in a central square) had some offices still closed so we opted to return in the morning. We said our goodbyes to Taryn and waived her off before heading back to the hotel. On the way back we picked up Pringles for Sophie's dinner and a salteña (equivalent to an empanada) from a street stand for me, both still full from lunch!

How Sophie Sees It

Got some BARGAINS today! A cute little Bolivian bag for 3.50 (pounds), purse for 50p and some indigenously made (with locally sourced, traditional material) presents for a couple of family birthdays I will miss while I'm away. Can't give away any more than that, await them in the post from La Paz!

Speaking of home, thankfully got a call in before the parents went away on their hols, which made me a little homesick, especially to hear that beautiful Patches had been put down at the ripe old age of 16.

Taryn could not leave without returning to Minuteman pizza for their death by chocolate cake and a cappuccino made with freshly ground coffee beans instead of the instant stuff that cafes here are obsessed with. It will be weird without her! :-(




Advertisement



Tot: 0.286s; Tpl: 0.027s; cc: 16; qc: 75; dbt: 0.1161s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb