The Salt Flats


Advertisement
Published: November 30th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Bolivia, a country we have heard so much hype about on our travels definitely lived up to expectation! We heeded the warnings about drunk drivers and false promises by tour agencies and did a bit of research into the tour company for the salt flats and this definitely paid off - we came back alive...which is more than we can say about a couple of groups over the last few months (see the lonely planet or trip advisor for the full stories!!!)

The photos show some of the highlights, but lets just say that the landscape on the salt flats was pretty surreal, the blinding light reflecting off the salt meant that there was almost no sense of perspective which meant we could take some fun photos... as well as lick some pretty salty rocks.

The flats used to be a lake and as a result, there is an island in the middle which is covered by the most awesome cacti, some of which were over 2000 years old and about 5-6 metres high!

We stopped off to see some geysers which smelt a little like off egg, but were pretty cool, bubbling away in the ground and shooting steam off into the air. We also stripped off into our swimmers in freezing cold temperatures at 6:30am for a hot thermal bath...nice!




Additional photos below
Photos: 18, Displayed: 18


Advertisement

The Salt HotelThe Salt Hotel
The Salt Hotel

Everything is made from salt!!!!


Tot: 0.089s; Tpl: 0.015s; cc: 6; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0577s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 2; ; mem: 1.1mb