Can You Please Pass the Salt?


Advertisement
Published: November 25th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Everyone who is travelling in Bolivia visits the Salar de Uyuni (salt flats). So, from Potosí we headed 120 miles south to the town of Uyuni, on a bus ride that took 6 hours.

Uyuni left alot to be desired. It's in the middle of nowhere, dusty, and dirty. Unfortunately, people will always come to Uyuni for access to the Salt Flats, which means it will most likely never receive any sprucing up or the installment of a restaurant that serves something other than pizza...(but if you do end up in Uyuni check out Minuteman Pizza...it's owned by a guy from Boston and it was by far the best and most creative pizza we've had since we were last in Chicago.)

We took a one day tour out to the Salar. Tours of the salt flats run between one and four days. The multiday tours visit more of the salt flats, various lakes, and lagoons. These are jeep tours where you're spending 8-10 hours a day in the jeep. Since that doesn't appeal to us at all, we just went for the day.

We drove out on the Salar, took a bunch of photos and drove some more. We visited an old Salt Hotel, that's no longer in use, but where everything was made out of salt. We then drove to Fish Island, basically a giant ¨island¨of rock outcroppings in the middle of the Salt Flats. We walked around a bit, ate lunch, and then drove out of the Salar to a ¨train graveyard.¨

Everything we saw was definetly worth the trip and new to us, but we were happy with our decision to only spend one day in the jeep...eventhough Sarah loved making 'salt + Brett = salty Brett' jokes.


Additional photos below
Photos: 10, Displayed: 10


Advertisement



25th November 2007

Worth the trip
Just seeing the salt hotel would have made the trip worthwhile for me. Sometime I'll tell you the story of driving 200 miles to see and photograph a life sized sand sculpture of the last supper. Again, seeing it was worth the trip.

Tot: 0.116s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 8; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0929s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb