cycling the world´s most dangerous road...from the world´s highest capital!!


Advertisement
Published: June 12th 2006
Edit Blog Post

This has become the de facto capital of Bolivia- beautiful city surrounded by hills with houses and mansions hugging the mountain-side catering for a rapidly growing population.
Having arrived from Sucre by overnight bus that left my body numb with cold as the roof window refused to close above me…we made it to our even colder hostel called Hotel Torino- Which happens to make the best coffee in Bolivia. But as we sat down savour the body thawing coffee, we could here the music outside jiving to the sounds of Ricky Martin´s ¨She Bangs, She bangs….ooh baby, the way she moves, she moves…I go crazy…¨ we step outside to the main plaza and find well over a hundred policemen in the plaza engaged in a session of Tai Bow- like something you would see in a gym Class. Absolutely hilarious!! It happened that we arrived on some national fitness day or something. Even the oldies in the back were getting involved!

Sorry mum, but I went to a Lebanese restaurant- it wasn´t half bad…not as good as mum´s…not many people can say that they went to a Lebanese restaurant in La Paz, Bolivia!!

Then came the day of dawning- the thing you hear about everywhere as u get closer to La Paz- CYCLING THE WORLD´S MOST DANGEROUS ROAD!!! Gravel stricken road, winding around high mountains, with sheer drops along the whole way, and insufficient room for two vehicles to cross at the same time! Just another adventure sport targeted for tourists- apparently one person had fallen off 1 month prior and had to be rappelled back up the mountain…other break bones, numerous required hospital visits! don´t know what crazy person thought this was a great idea….but it had to be done!! Starting at well over 4000 meters, we cycled faster than the cars and trucks at a speed well over 40-50km/hr…afraid to get absorbed in the stunning scenery around you in fear that u will lose balance and go flying over the edge! At least 100 people die on this road each year. No joke! Everyone stuck close to the doctor, in the occurrence that my services will be required! Out of our group of 15, 4 fell off- one with serious cuts that were gonna require stitches, and others were severe scratches. U occasionally pass memorials devoted to people that have gone over the edge at that point.
tae Botae Botae Bo

over 100 policemen dancing to the tunes of Ricky Martin...all in sync!
Even I felt unsteady at times and feared going over!!! But I survived without a fall and no scratches!!! I cycled the world´s most dangerous road!!!!

And to to top it off, we stayed in Hotel esmeralada that night, in a village called Coroico, pitched on hilltop, with stunning views over The Cordillera Real mountain ranges with its clouds floating in its lap…the shower that night was like gold!!!



Additional photos below
Photos: 12, Displayed: 12


Advertisement

hardcore junkies! hardcore junkies!
hardcore junkies!

right before cycling down the world{s most dangerous road...2 of these guys fell off their bikes!
thats a long way to the bottom!!thats a long way to the bottom!!
thats a long way to the bottom!!

this is the kind of windy road that we cycled down..with a sheer cliff face!!
with the bike that kept me alive!with the bike that kept me alive!
with the bike that kept me alive!

it had double suspension...needed a change of brakes cause i had worn them out going down!
it was dirt track mountain bikingit was dirt track mountain biking
it was dirt track mountain biking

i got filthy...u can see the mark where my glasses were!
Downhill Madness (the company)Downhill Madness (the company)
Downhill Madness (the company)

our group of crazy dare devils!
riding in the back of a vanriding in the back of a van
riding in the back of a van

then it starts raining along the way! L-R: Helen, Helen, Alex, Rachel, Mario, Lacy


Tot: 0.156s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 26; qc: 140; dbt: 0.1217s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.4mb