I´m hearing Barry Manilow......


Advertisement
Published: July 21st 2006
Edit Blog Post

Caught the 25th overnight bus from Cuzco to Puno on the shores of Lake Titicaca. No pfaffing around - bus got in at 6.15am, dropped stuff at hostel, then joined a full-day boat tour at 6.45am.

Went first to the Uros floating reed islands. The people first settled in this way to escape the marauding Incas and other tribes. Now some live on land, and some on the water. I was expecting it to be overrun with tourists, but it was surprisingly nice & quiet with only our small group on this particular island. The people use the reeds for the island foundations (constantly replenished as the reeds rot underneath), housing, boats, handicrafts and cattle feed. It´s not all primitive living though - they use solar panels for lighting, radio and TV.

Then went to Taquile island. Quite picturesque. The island is well known for its weaving and knitting. But the most interesting tradition is that it´s the menfolk that knit. They start as boys from 6 years of age. They say a lazy man is one who doesn´t knit. Another tradition is that their weddings last for 5 days, but the bride and groom are not allowed to dance or partake in the festivities. They are only allowed to sit & watch. Also the bride weaves a special matrimonial belt for her groom made entirely of her own hair. Freaky!

Caught early morning bus from Puno to Copacabana (eat your heart out Barry!) with Scottish Dave, who was on the same boat tour the previous day. Cracked me up when he told me that Colombian girls were all centrefold models, and that he might go back next year to get himself a hot wife.

It seems everyone knows someone with a horror border story or the like. As a precaution it doesn´t hurt to have a ´border buddy´. Anyway, crossing the border was a cinch. Peruvian immigration first, then you walk about 100 metres to complete the Bolivian formalities.

Wow, Bolivia is so cheap! Settled into a hotel on the main drag with my own room, private bathroom with hot water, and panoramic lake views for 20Bs (boliviano´s) which is like A$3.75. Sweet! Have pretty much spent my time chilling out in town and cruising on the lake (went to Isla del Sol), which makes a nice change before hitting the bright city lights of La Paz.




















Additional photos below
Photos: 10, Displayed: 10


Advertisement

Reed boatReed boat
Reed boat

Looks like a viking vessel
CopacabanaCopacabana
Copacabana

Central Coast equivalent for La Paz


29th June 2006

prefer the Carpenters
That reed-catamaran reminded me of the Egyptian's, not that i have been to the land of pharoahs. May be the egyptians found america 1st? well, b4 Columbus anyway.

Tot: 0.264s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 34; qc: 165; dbt: 0.0839s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.3mb