Lake Titicaca, Isla del Sol and Copacabana


Advertisement
Published: July 23rd 2010
Edit Blog Post

Plans are made to be changed. We never planed to visit Lake Titicaca, Isla del Sol and Copacabana. I would have wished to do some serious rafting, but we knew this is not the right season for rafting in Bolivia, so we had to find something else. The original plan was to do some kayak...that can be fun, even on a class II rapid. But here it is, we could not find a trip for the day we wanted...so a little plan change!

In Bolivia, we have used Turisbus Travel Agent based at the Hotel Rosario. And I can tell you they are pro, and not much more expensive than the competition. W decided to book a one day tour of the Lake Titicaca...to be honest, I would have wish it to be a two days tour afterward, but one day, that's all we had. Our guide was very average, but that's ok, because the organisation around the trip was pretty well done.

We left early morning for the 4 hours drive to Copacabana....you know, not the beach in Brazil, but the little city in Bolivia. To get there you cross first the Altiplano. A first for both of us, and wow, this is nice. After this, we had to take a short ride on a boat, and 45 minutes more on the bus before reaching Copacabana. Little lunch box was waiting for us, and on a smaller private boat to go to Isla del Sol. This is supposed to be an easy ride...but with the wind, we did face waves that are worthwhile some bodyboard...so a little delay there...but neither Ma'ri or I do have problems with seasickness...so not an issue.

Isle del Sol, the Island of the Sun...you remember the one in Tintin? The Sacred Island for the Inca! Great, beautiful, nice....you call it! We visited a little Inca Palace before walking around for a good hour (oh, yes, some may call it trekking). This is where I would have prefered a full two days! You can see the Lake, but also from there Isla de la Luna, and a lot of the Andes...what a view! It's also a great place to enjoy some Trout...that would have to wait the evening for us. But this is really a nice place...wouldn't mind to spend the night there!

On our way back we stopped...well, we passed by a floating village...this is more a tourist trap than anything, but I was happy to witness it, and we just passed by!

We also stopped by for a very fast tour of Copacabana, small little town with a very nice main square and Cathedral. I will not cross the world to come back there, but the full day was very nice. Ok, let's be honest, what is coming after this day is out of this world...but for this, I have to select first the pictures...there are too many of them, what an experience, and sharing it with Ma'ri was even better!

As usual, I'm late on entries, but I will not complain, as we have a great time...even under temperatures well below zero at night...this should also change...soon!

With Love from South America...and very soon, Leslie will join us on the road, but for the moment he is enjoying a youth camp...enjoying his youth while he can! Smile!


Additional photos below
Photos: 24, Displayed: 24


Advertisement



Tot: 0.076s; Tpl: 0.022s; cc: 10; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0465s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb